National Signing Day has finally arrived. Alabama is bracing for a big, critical finish to the 2018 recruiting class, which centers around priority targets at several positions of importance such as defensive back and defensive line. Coach Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide signed 14 prospects during the early signing period in December. There are still double-digit targets left on the board for the Tide, so Wednesday should be a crazy day for those who follow Alabama recruiting.
Latest updates on Alabama recruiting on National Signing Day
- 5:19 p.m. ET: Jaylen Waddle is officially announced as a signee.
- 5:10 p.m. ET: Penei Sewell has chosen Oregon. It was trending that way for months.
- 4:38 p.m. ET: Jaylen Waddle announces his commitment to the Crimson Tide. Waddle was one of the best players in Alabama’s summer camp sessions this past year. He was one of the team’s top overall targets.
- 4:09 p.m. ET: Michael Parker is officially announced as a signee by Alabama.
- 3:44 p.m. ET: Malik Langham, a 4-star defensive end from Lee High School (Huntsville, Ala.), has chosen Florida over Alabama.
- 2:56 p.m. ET: Even after missing on several targets on Wednesday, don’t expect Alabama to circle back to try and make Isaac Taylor-Stuart a part of this class.
- 2:47 p.m. ET: Michael Parker just told me that he was just sent a letter of intent. He will sign it and be a part of this class.
- 2:35 p.m. ET: Jacob Copeland, a 4-star wide receiver out of Escambia High School (Pensacola, Fla.), has chosen Florida. His mother, who was wearing an Alabama sweater, stormed off after he made his decision.
- 2:13 p.m. ET: Glenn Beal, a 3-star tight end, has chosen Texas A&M. Beal did have a committable offer from the Tide. Alabama’s staff liked that he could play both sides of the ball.
- 1:28 p.m. ET: Olaijah Griffin chooses Southern California over Alabama and Tennessee.
- 1:25 p.m. ET: JJ Peterson sticks with Tennessee. I didn’t believe for one second that he was actually considering Alabama at the end of his recruitment. He’s very close with Jeremy Pruitt.
- 1:15 p.m. ET: Justyn Ross, a 4-star WR from Central High School (Phenix City, Ala.), has committed to Clemson over Alabama and Auburn. Ross told me that his trip to Clemson was the best recruiting visit he’s ever been on.
- 12:27 p.m. ET: Alabama announces the signing of 5-star CB Patrick Surtain Jr.
- 11:47 a.m. ET: Quay Walker has flipped from Alabama to Georgia. It was clear that Walker wasn’t going to enroll at Alabama after Jeremy Pruitt and Derrick Ansley left Tuscaloosa.
- 11:29 a.m. ET: Tanner McKee, a 4-star quarterback has chosen Stanford. He will not enroll in college until 2020 because he’s doing a 2-year Mormon mission after graduating from high school.
- 11:15 a.m. ET: Alabama announces the signing of Jaylen Moody.
- 10:42 a.m. ET: Alabama lands a commitment from 3-star linebacker Jaylen Moody. Moody took an official visit to Tuscaloosa this past weekend. Once it was clear that Vernon Jackson wasn’t going to sign with Alabama, that opened a spot for Moody in this class.
- 10:31 a.m. ET: Nicholas Petit-Frere, a 5-star tackle out of Tampa, Fla., has chosen Ohio State after his official visit there this past weekend. Petit-Frere was the Tide’s top offensive line target. He called Florida, one of his finalists, Tuesday afternoon to tell the Gators he was choosing the Buckeyes.
- 10:20 a.m. ET: The nation’s No. 1 CB Patrick Surtain Jr. chooses Alabama over LSU. The Crimson Tide chipped away at the Tigers’ lead over the past several months. Surtain will be a candidate to start immediately.
- 10: 16 a.m. ET: 5-star CB Tyson Campbell picks Georgia over Alabama and Miami.
- 10:05 a.m. ET: Alabama officially announces the signing of Eddie Smith.
- 9:30 a.m. ET: Alabama has landed its first National Signing Day addition in Louisiana DB Eddie Smith. Smith became a priority target for the Crimson Tide earlier this month. He took his first-ever visit to Tuscaloosa two weeks ago and fell in love with it.
- 8:52 a.m. ET: Not the best start for Alabama recruiting as 4-star defensive tackle Bobby Brown has flipped and signed with Texas A&M.
- 1: 25 a.m. ET: Colquitt County coach Rush Propst texted me that he feels like his star linebacker, JJ Peterson, is 75 percent leaning toward Tennessee with the other 25 percent going to Alabama. I still think he ends up at Tennessee. He’ll make his final decision in between 1 and 2 p.m. ET.
- Tuesday night: SEC Country received word that Alabama was not going to send a letter of intent to 4-star linebacker Vernon Jackson. Jackson is likely going to sign with Texas A&M on Wednesday.
- Here’s who we are projecting to sign with Alabama on Wednesday.
- Alabama isn’t going to sign a quarterback in the 2018 class, but it did land a commitment from a preferred walk-on who is the son of a former Tide QB.
For some mobile users, a better reading experience can be found here.
Alabama recruiting updates, signee tracker for National Signing Day
Projected Alabama signees on National Signing Day
- Stephon Wynn Jr., 4-star DT (Bradenton, Fla.)
- Jordan Davis, 4-star Jack LB (Memphis, Tenn.)
- Jalyn Armour-Davis, 4-star CB (Mobile, Ala.)
- Emil Ekiyor, 4-star C (Indianapolis)
- Eyabi Anoma, 5-star Jack LB (Baltimore)
- Josh Jobe, 4-star CB (Miami) — signing on Wednesday
- Jerome Ford, 3-star RB (Seffner, Fla.) — signing on Wednesday
- Cameron Latu, 4-star Jack LB (Salt Lake City)
- Xavier Williams, 4-star WR (Hollywood, Fla.)
- Christian Barmore, 4-star DT (Philadelphia)
- Tommy Brown, 4-star OT (Santa Ana, Calif.)
- Saivion Smith, 4-star CB (Perkinston, Miss.)
- Slade Bolden, 3-star ATH (West Monroe, La.)
- Skyler Delong, 3-star P (Nation Ford, S.C.)
Commitment times for Alabama targets on National Signing Day
- Malik Langham, 4-star DE: 3:30 p.m. ET (Alabama, Auburn, Florida)
- Jaylen Waddle, 4-star WR: 4:30 p.m. ET (Alabama, Texas A&M)
- Penei Sewell, 4-star OL: 5 p.m. ET (Alabama, Oregon, USC)