TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters on Monday following the Crimson Tide’s sixth spring practice.
Here’s a rundown of what Saban had to say.
- I was really interested in the tempo today, which was really good after the players were off after a long weekend. Spreading practices out has helped the teaching. I think it’s helped the learning curve, especially with the young players.
- We’re at the point now where it’s important for guys to pay attention to detail. Most of the time when you don’t have success, it’s not because you didn’t have the ability to do it. It’s because you made a mental error and we weren’t on the same page as a unit.
- The focus now is about installation with the scrimmage coming up. We want to see how guys respond when no one is there looking over their shoulder making sure they do it right.
- When the scrimmage comes, I want to see who can do the fundamental things like hold the point of attack, get off blocks and showing maturity.
- Rashaan Evans and Da’Shawn Hand have responded well as starters this spring, and have both showed leadership.
- We’re looking at punt return and kick return. We’re working on it, but we can’t say who’ll be back there. I do think we’ll be better at it this year.
- Matt Womack has done really well this spring. He had a good offseason program. He’s made a lot of improvement, and we’re hopeful he can continue to grow as a player.
- Decision making, getting the ball out of his hands quickly, not looking at the rush are some things we’re trying to get Jalen Hurts to improve on during the spring. He’s doing a much better job. He can still make runs, but that’s not what we want him to focus on right now.
- (On tight ends) We have Hale Hentges back and Irv Smith. He’s been a good player for us. Miller Forristall is more (O.J. Howard-like) as a receiver. O.J. became a really good blocker toward the end of his career. Miller is still improving in that area. Major Tennison is a young guy who looks like he has the potential to be able to do all of the things. We’re going to continue to work with him.
- We feel one of the strengths of the team is the running back position, having the three guys back (Bo Scarbrough, Damien Harris, Josh Jacobs). We’re going to have to find roles for some of the other guys.
Watch Saban’s full news conference below: