Last year, the Crimson Caravan tour was trimmed significantly. This year, it won’t happen at all, and Nick Saban apparently had nothing to do with the event’s demise.
Alabama announced Thursday that it is putting the event “on hold” in 2016, and did not commit to bringing the Caravan back in future years.
Later that night, Saban spoke with reporters in Mobile before a speaking engagement.
“It really wasn’t my decision,” Saban said (via 247Sports.com’s Charlie Potter). “I always do things that the university wants me to do. I really enjoy the Crimson Caravan, really like getting out and seeing our fans and talking with the folks that support the program.”
The 2015 tour visited four southern cities — down from seven in 2014 — with Saban giving speeches and “inside information” to fans at all stops. This will be the first time since 2007 that the event won’t be on the spring docket.
“I guess that they just thought that there was something that might be more beneficial,” Saban said. “I haven’t heard what yet. I’m willing and able to go out and talk any time when they want me to do things for the university.”
As Saban indicated, it’s not immediately clear why this year’s tour was cancelled.
“We are going to evaluate some different options from a development standpoint and we won’t have the typical caravans this spring,” Alabama senior associate athletic director for development Sam Branch said Thursday. “It’s the right time to look at new ideas and formats.”