Alabama has been the cream of the crop in the SEC in recent memory. The Crimson Tide has won four national championships since 2009, and is always a perennial contender.
So, what would other coaches from around the SEC have to say Alabama if they were able to do so anonymously? Well, luckily for us, that’s exactly what Athlon Sports found out when they asked coaches from around the conference about their opposing teams in an anonymous setting.
Athlon asked about every team in the SEC, but the comments on Alabama were perhaps the most interesting, as the Tide have also likely been the conference’s most interesting team of late.
Here’s a few of the anonymous statements on the Tide from the other SEC coaches, per Athlon:
- “Until someone beats them, I’d say they’re the team to beat.”
- “You’d love to see somebody else step up and do it, but what they do year-in and year-out is really remarkable in terms of reloading, resetting the mindset and continuing to win. Now, how do they transition it with a new offensive coordinator? I think it will be more pro style, back to what they used to do. What’s amazing about it is they run the same offense for the most part, it’s just different window dressing.”
- “Jalen Hurts obviously gives them an element similar to Blake Sims. He can run the system. He seems to be smart. They like him, but you could tell they didn’t totally trust him.”
- “They’ve lost some depth up front, but they cause so many problems because they can get your quarterback on the ground without having to pressure. It just makes the game real hard unless you can pop enough explosive plays to stay in it.”
- “They played well enough offensively to beat Clemson last year, but they just wore down defensively toward the end of it, so you know Nick won’t let that happen again.”