TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama returned to the practice field Friday for its 11th spring practice. The sidelines were crowded as hundreds of high school coaches watched the Crimson Tide work as Alabama coach Nick Saban is hosting his annual coaching clinic this weekend.
Here are some takeaways:
- Rising junior Da’Shawn Hand (back) didn’t practice with the team today. Hand was spotted in the training room wearing a black, non-contact jersey. Saban said Hand missed Wednesday’s practice with back spasms.
- Senior defensive lineman Dalvin Tomlinson was back on the practice field leading his group. Tomlinson missed Wednesday’s practice because he was sick.
- Two-sport athlete Keith Holcombe was spotted lined up with the first defensive group at inside linebacker next to Reuben Foster when the Tide worked on its nickel package. Things were moving pretty fast, but the front of the first defensive group had Tomlinson, Daron Payne, Tim Williams and Ryan Anderson up front. That’s a scary unit with a lot of speed and strength.
- For the last few practices, we’ve seen Marlon Humphrey and Minkah Fitzpatrick at the cornerback spots with Maurice Smith at the star (fifth defensive back) position with the first defensive group in nickel. That held true today. All three have good coverage skills, and are physical against the run.
- Eddie Jackson (leg) continued to work with the first defensive group at safety spot along with Ronnie Harrison. Jackson is wearing a regular jersey so there’s a chance he could participate in Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Rashaan Evans and Shaun Dion Hamilton were the inside linebackers in nickel with the second defensive group.
Up next: Alabama will have its second spring scrimmage on Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Saban is scheduled to speak with reporters following the scrimmage.