Nick Saban has had a ton of success against the SEC.
But against Tennessee specifically, the Alabama coach has owned the Volunteers, going a perfect 9-0 since becoming Tide coach in 2007.
You have to go back to his time at LSU to find a Saban loss to Alabama. Specifically, Sept. 29, 2001. The very next day, Tom Brady made his first career start for the New England Patriots.
The Last Time Nick Saban Lost to Tennessee (Sept. 29, 2001)
Patriots QB Tom Brady had yet to start an NFL game.
— Cole Cubelic (@colecubelic) October 10, 2016
Some other facts since Saban last fell to the Volunteers:
- Barry Bonds had not yet set the single season home run record. He had 69 home runs on Sept. 29, 2001. He finished the season with 73.
- Jay Z had the No. 1 album in America, with The Blueprint.
- Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin was in his first season at USC. He was a tight ends coach.
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones was in his first season as Central Michigan’s offensive coordinator.
- Former Tennessee quarterback Peyton Manning had 0 MVP awards. He would finish his NFL career with five.
Saban will look to extend his winning streak against Tennessee on Saturday. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET on CBS.