4 things every Alabama fan needs to know today
Happy Friday, everyone. Alabama stayed busy Thursday. The Crimson Tide finished the week’s practice schedule and put the final touches on its gameplan against Louisiana-Monroe. Here’s what else you might have missed:
- Kicker Gunnar Raborn was arrested. The walk-on sophomore was 2-of-3 on field goals last season, but could not wrangle the job away from Adam Griffith in August. He was taken into custody by Tuscaloosa PD on Thursday following a DUI arrest.
- Throwback Thursday: Louisiana-Monroe upsets Alabama. The nation has mostly forgotten the time ‘Bama and Louisiana-Monroe last took the field against each other. It was only eight years ago, and spurred perhaps the NCAA’s greatest modern football dynasty.
- Nick Saban told a great Bill Belichick story. While speaking to fans on his weekly radio show, Saban discussed why he does not overrule his play-callers in the heat of the moment. The reason stems from his time with Belichick and the Cleveland Browns.
- 2016 commit Eddy Pineiro made an insane trick shot. “Trick kick” is probably the proper terminology. Either way, his post-practice juggling act made for a must-see Vine.
Other Alabama news from around the Internet
- This week was full of great reporting on the 2007 ULM upset. You should start with AL.com’s John Talty, who revealed how that game launched several careers. CBSSports.com’s Jon Solomon looked back on Saban snubbing the Warhawks’ star after the loss, and then the coach’s ill-advised comments the following week.
- TimesDaily.com’s Alex Byington sat down with former Alabama wide receiver Dennis Homan — a member of the 1965 national championship squad — to paint an interesting portrait of Bear Bryant. Old school fans, this one is for you.
- With wide receiver Robert Foster’s injury, Richard Mullaney has a chance to become even more important to the Tide offense. He spoke to 247Sports.com’s Charlie Potter about why he chose Alabama in the first place.
- Grantland.com’s Michael Weinreb took an interesting look at the SEC’s changing power structure, while WashingtonPost.com’s Patrick Stevens did the same. Basically: It’s getting tougher to win in the SEC West.
Best stories around the SEC
- Which SEC team is on upset alert this weekend? (Hint: It’s not Alabama.)
- Top 4 games in Florida-Tennessee history (Can you name them?)
- Hugh Freeze focused on keeping Ole Miss “real deal” (Winning helps.)
- Report: Future site of Arkansas-Texas A&M rivalry uncertain (If not Dallas, then where?)
- South Carolina’s new QB draws comparisons to Cam Newton (Heisman material?)
— SEC Country (@seccountry) September 24, 2015