TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Avery Johnson spoke to reporters following the Crimson Tide’s 70-53 win over Coastal Carolina in its season opener on Friday night.
Highlights from Johnson’s time at the podium:
- It was a tale of two halves for us. We had a lot better energy in the second half.
- These two guys here (Dazon Ingram and Corban Collins) compliment each other well. We wouldn’t be sitting here with a 17-point win without these two.
- We have a lot of work to do going forward.
- Our student section was loud and proud tonight. They were great tonight.
- We just wanted to make some adjustments at halftime. I’m really just teaching right now. There was some good effort out there. More teaching, coaching and building confidence.
- Dazon Ingram and Corban Collins get after each other in practice. It’s pretty fierce competition when they play against each other in practice.
- We had to fix some of the mechanics with Dazon Ingram’s shot during the offseason. He was blocking his face a little bit last year. He is more confident with his three-point shot. We think he has triple-double capabilities.
- We thought we would be able to defend the 3-point game a little bit more, but we were having trouble rebounding. Putting Bola in with Jimmie Taylor helped us rebound better in the second half. They did a good job of playing together. You may see me change the lineups at halftime more this season than last year, but not trying to overreact.
- I’d like to score more than 70 points, and eventually we’ll get there. If we can score 43 in one half, we should be able to score 43 in both halves.
- Coastal Carolina is a very good team. They’re going to win a lot of games this season.
- Avery Johnson joked that Avery Jr. was “too fired up” at the beginning of the game. Said he’s excited to be back on the court.
Watch Johnson’s full news conference below: