BATON ROUGE, La. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters following the Crimson Tide’s 10-0 win at LSU on Saturday.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- I’m awful proud of the way our team competed in this game. We knew it was going to be a tough game.
- Our team persevered. We won ugly, but we won.
- I can’t say enough about how many stops we had in this game.
- This game is all about competitive character and showing toughness.
- We’re still growing with Jalen Hurts. As we continue to grow with him, we’re going to take the good with the bad.
- The guy does not get affected. He just moves on to the next play.
- Bo Scarbrough sprained his knee, but he came back and played well. He had the hot name tonight.
- We told our players they were going to have to fight for 60 minutes in this one. I told our players to never give up on a play. I talked to our players about the block LeBron James had in the NBA Finals. I asked them to compare their effort to what he did on that play.
- The blocked field goal in the first quarter was huge.
- Tony Brown did a nice job. I thought Minkah Fitzpatrick did a nice job in his first game at safety. It helped to have a bye week. That was a critical move for us that worked.
- We got some pretty hateful guys around here on defense who are good competitors. When they get challenged, they usually respond.
- There was a lot of competitive character shown in this game.
- We thought we had ’em going a little bit in the second half when we had some long drives.
- I think it’s day by day with Jalen Hurts. I think he wants to improve. He has great poise. He expects a lot of himself and we expect a lot of him. He handles it very well. We still need to get some of our skill guys more involved. We need to do a better job of that.
Watch Saban’s full news conference below:
NEXT RECAP: Top-ranked Alabama outlasts LSU in defensive battle