FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters following the Crimson Tide’s 49-30 victory over Arkansas.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- It was a tough win for us on the road.
- I was really pleased with the way our offense started. We did a good job of moving the ball. We turned it over a few times.
- Defensively, I thought we did a good job against the run, but not so much against the pass.
- We’re excited about the win. I’m excited about the enthusiasm our players came in with especially in the first half.
- We couldn’t get off the field on third down which swung the time of possession.
- We scored a couple of times on defense, but there are a lot of things we need to get better at.
- Joshua Jacobs pinched a nerve in his elbow. He should be fine. He was cleared to play in the second half, but we held him out.
- Reuben Foster and Alphonse Taylor suffered concussions. We’re hopeful they can improve going forward.
- ArDarius Stewart and Damien Harris are both really good players. We need those guys healthy because they’ve made a lot of big players. We’re hopeful ArDarius can get healthier and healthier as we go down the stretch here. That certainly gives us more diversity when he and Calvin Ridley are both in the game.
- I thought we had great balance on offense today. We ran the ball effectively. We threw the ball effectively. There were a lot of good things out there on offense today. That kind of balance is what we would like to have.
- We ran the ball effectively early on. We fumbled on the 1-yard line going in, which was a disappointment. But it was also a testament to the character for our players. To see them come right back and go in and score showed they have great character. We want to take care of the ball better, but as a competitor, you can’t let those things get to you. I think we ran the ball effectively early and it opened up the passing game.
- Tim Williams had a great game today. He’s an outstanding pass rusher.
- Guys didn’t play the ball at times in the secondary. We messed up some fundamental things. We didn’t have very disciplined eye control. The guy (Arkansas quarterback Austin Allen) made some really good throws.
- Minkah Fitzpatrick had a fantastic game. Making those big plays had a huge impact. The 14 points that the defense scored was pretty significant.