TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters on Saturday following the Crimson Tide’s 51-3 win over Mississippi State on Saturday.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- I was really pleased with the way we got started today. I know it’s been a long time since we scored a touchdown in the first quarter after the LSU game, but I was proud of how the players started fast.
- Jalen Hurts had a good day today. We wanted to get the ball to some of our playmakers down the field. ArDarius Stewart had a really good day.
- I was pleased with the way our defense responded when facing their offense. I think it was a team effort today of the offense controlling the tempo and the defense getting stops when they needed to.
- I was proud of the way our team competed and played in the game.
- We’re going to take an extra day off this week to get some guys healed up.
- Bo Scarbrough should be healed up soon. Didn’t want to rush him back.
- Lester Cotton missed some reps this last week after dealing with a concussion.
- “I never said I didn’t vote … I got an absentee ballot.” Said he didn’t know it was Election Day because Tuesday is a busy day.
- On Jalen Hurts’ interception, Saban said Hurts thought the receiver was going underneath when he let the ball go.
- I thought Anthony Averett held up well in coverage. I thought our secondary as a whole did a good job out there. Averett didn’t give up any plays.
- Trevon Diggs has been a really good player for us all year long. He’s contributed in spots. He played both ways early on, which probably limited his growth as a receiver. Now that he’s been able to stick at receiver for four or five games, he’s playing better. We have a lot of confidence in him as well.
- Adam Griffith has kicked the ball well in practice. I’d have to look at the film, but he kicked some low which isn’t his style. He usually gets them up high. The field was a little bit soft today. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it or not. He line-drived some, but he made them.
- ArDarius Stewart battled some injuries early on. He’s back healthy now. He’s very fast. He did have a drop which I’m sure he’s not happy with. He did a great job for us today.
Watch Saban’s full news conference below:
NEXT RECAP: Jalen Hurts, ArDarius Stewart shine, Alabama rolls Mississippi State