TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama coach Nick Saban spoke to reporters following the Crimson Tide’s 34-6 homecoming win over Kentucky.
Highlights from Saban’s time at the podium:
- I thought we executed a little better in the second half. I thought we were sloppy in the first half. The quarterback struggled a little bit, especially in the passing game. I thought we ran the ball effectively. Defensively, we played well. Got some sacks and scored on defense.
- I knew this was going to be a tough game. Kentucky is a lot better than people give them credit for. You have to give Mark Stoops credit for the way he has his team playing hard.
- I was pleased with the way our guys played. I challenged them at halftime. I didn’t think we imposed our will like we could have. We left some points the board by not finishing drives.
- There are certainly a lot of lessons to be learned in this game. We’ll be anxious to make those improvements this week.
- The first half suspension is the extent of Tim Williams punishment.
- The forced fumble and touchdown return was a big momentum swing for us. We work on stripping the ball a lot. Hopefully we can continue to force turnovers.
- Joshua Jacobs is really playing well. He’s done a nice job for us. We have a lot of confidence in Josh. We have a lot of confidence in Damien Harris, who has played well all year long. Harris was coming off a high ankle sprain. He wasn’t able to practice as much this week. He was cleared to play in the game, but we decided we would spot play him on third down. That gave Josh more opportunities, and he certainly took advantage of it and did a great job.
- We just have to be more consistent in the passing game. Calvin Ridley had a career day, and was really, really good. But we have some other good players that we need to get involved in the passing game. We had some plays designed where guys were open and we didn’t make the throws. They would have been big plays. These are plays we need to continue to work on and develop so we can develop more consistency in the passing game.
- The early passing game struggles were a combination of trying to take some shots down the field as well as some issues in pass protection.
NEXT RECAP: Alabama pounds Kentucky on homecoming