3 things every Arkansas fan needs to know today
Good morning, Razorbacks fans. First, forget about the losses to Toledo, Texas Tech and Texas A&M. That was September when the Arkansas receiving corps looked more like a MASH unit.
A number of players are back and the Razorbacks are on a four-game roll and considered to be one of the hottest teams in the nation, according to Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen.
Arkansas coach Bret Bielema is so confident right now he suggested a yearly inter-conference challenge to replace one team like UTEP, Toledo and UT-Martin. He said the SEC and Big Ten should have a crossover game each year.
His comments rocked Facebook on Wednesday and have folks talking. But we’ve got even more stuff for you this morning. Put on an extra pot of coffee because there’s some serious reading as the week winds down and Saturday nears.
Here’s three things to know:
- Bielema said in the SEC weekly teleconference Wednesday that there should be uniformity across all conferences when trying to schedule non-conference games. Teams scramble to find the Western Carolinas and Eastern Michigans. So how about eliminating one gimme game a year and have conference challenge games like they do in basketball. He said an SEC-Big Ten showdown should be a possibility.
- What would the SEC-Big Ten matchups have looked like this year? SEC Country took the 2014 final standings from each conference and paired them up. First-place teams play each other and so on, all the way down to 14th place teams. The home games would be left up to the conferences. In this scenario, the Hogs would have played a big-time traditional power.
- Former Razorback Dallas Keuchel won the American League Cy Young Award, the Baseball Writers’ Association of America and Major League Baseball announced Wednesday.
Other Arkansas news around the Internet
- Arkansas running back Alex Collins was named a semifinalist for the Doak Walker Award, given annually to the nation’s best running back. The three finalists will be named Nov. 24.
- A new hype video for the Mississippi State game was released Wednesday. Put your earplugs in so your boss won’t hear the hype. If your boss is a fan, then invite them in to watch it with you.
- Greg Horne remains the only punter to earn all-American honors at Arkansas. On Saturday he’ll serve as A-Club Honorary Captain.
Best stories in the SEC
- With two Columbia schools in the SEC having coaching vacancies, which job between South Carolina or Missouri has greater appeal?
- Missouri athletic director Mack Rhoades said he’s looking for substance over style when searching for a new head football coach. Translation: Winning titles takes precedence over bringing in the hottest name.
- Tickets are 33.5 percent below the season average for the Georgia Southern game Saturday at Sanford Stadium.