Good morning, Arkansas fans. It’s hump day on homecoming week at The Hill and UT-Martin awaits this weekend. Yesterday you found out their mascot name is the Skyhawks. The school mascot once was Volunteers like the big boys at the flagship university in Knoxville, and the students at Martin, then called UT Junior College — were simply called “Baby Volunteers.” True stuff.
They changed their names to Pacers and then, in 1995, changed to Skyhawks to honor fighter pilots who trained at the school.
Now that fun fact for the day session is over, here are the things Razorback fans really want to know.
Here are four things to know:
- Arkansas junior running back Kody Walker is brimming with confidence after finding the end zone twice last week against Auburn. He’s looking for more carries in the Razorbacks’ matchup against UT-Martin this week
- Former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett’s time with the Houston Texans has ended. The fifth-year pro who missed the team’s charter flight to Miami and caught a commercial flight was unceremoniously released by the Houston Texans on Tuesday.
- Arkansas offensive coordinator Dan Enos made the right calls at the right times during the four-overtime win over Auburn.
- Would it really be uncharted waters if the Razorbacks push their record to 4-4 this week? Here’s what one columnist who follows the team seems to think.
The best stories around the SEC
- LSU’s starting quarterback Brandon Harris and wide receiver Malachi Dupre shine on the field, but their brightest moment happened when they rescued stranded motorists in a flooded Baton Rouge last weekend.
- Texas A&M’s Kyler Murray seems to have made amends with his spat with offensive coordinator, and the freshman is back in the thick of things as coach Kevin Sumlin opened the quarterback race up again this week.
- Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari will pay college tuition for two UK students, who were randomly selected at Tuesday night’s Blue-White scrimmage.