4 things every Arkansas fan needs to know today
Good morning, Razorbacks fans. It’s been Hog Heaven the last month with four consecutive wins, including that 31-14 scalding of the LSU Tigers in Baton Rouge. The win was so great that, even two days later, coach Bret Bielema referred to it as a whooping.
The Razorbacks get their final two games at home, and Bielema said he hopes potential hometown distractions — like people telling the players how good they are — don’t get into the players’ heads. The team is preparing for Mississippi State to visit Saturday.
Here are things you need to know:
- Arkansas continues its meteoric rise to No. 3 in the SEC Country Power Poll. Just two weeks ago the Hogs were No. 8. Although the national media won’t give the Hogs any Top 25 love, the boys down South have respect for what Arkansas has proven on the field.
- It seems the national media doesn’t like the four losses on Arkansas’ record. Three of those came in September and the other was to, umm, Alabama. Here’s a look at why the Hogs deserve national attention even though their 6-4 record might not look sexy from the outside.
- Bielema said he’s glad Saturday’s win over LSU ended 31-14 so folks would know his team “whooped” the Tigers. He also said he wished the Razorbacks could have gotten the first crack to beat the Tigers before Alabama did.
- It’s not the kind of record any coach strives for, but while providing an injury update, Bielema said his team may have broken a record for broken bones with their 10th of the season.
Other Arkansas news around the Internet
- Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen calls Arkansas one of the hotter teams in the nation and said it will be hard to stop the potent Hogs offense. This is coming from a team that was ranked No. 1 for several weeks in 2014.
- Arkansas freshman linebacker Dre Greenlaw was named SEC freshman of the week for the second time this season. He’s the only player to earn the honor twice this year.
- Junior Dan Skipper was named SEC offensive lineman of the week, joining two other Hogs lineman to win the honor this year.
- Arkansas junior tight end Hunter Henry was named a semifinalist for the John Mackey Award, given annually to the nation’s best tight end.
- Arkansas baseball coach Dave Van Horn announced the signing of five in-state pitchers during the early signing period.
The best stories from around the SEC
- LSU’s Leonard Fournette had all but wrapped up the Heisman Trophy a few weeks ago. Then he faced Alabama. Then Arkansas. Now it seems like Alabama’s Derrick Henry is the front-runner.
- Arkansas played spoiler to both LSU and Ole Miss, both of whom had hopes of playing for an SEC championship just a couple of weeks ago. Now they clash in a game that’s important, but also an added chapter to their illustrious rivalry.
- As Florida quarterback Will Grier appeals his year-long suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs, his family has created shirts with the words “Free Willy.”