OXFORD, Miss. — Arkansas defeated Ole Miss 38-37 Saturday at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.
Connor Limpert kicked a game-winning field goal from 34 yards with 4 seconds remaining to give the Razorbacks (3-5, 1-4 SEC) their first lead of the game. Arkansas trailed 31-7 in the first half before rallying for the win. The Hogs will host Coastal Carolina next Saturday.
Arkansas coach Bret Bielema addressed the media following the game. Here’s the rundown of what he had to say:
- Bielema: “I’m just so proud of our guys. Tough start, but we never stopped working.”
- Bielema says the biggest thing they talked about all week was starting fast and finishing strong. “We didn’t start fast, but we definitely finished strong.”
- Bielema brags on the individual performances of center Zach Rogers and running back T.J. Hammonds. Not just during the game, but throughout the week. “We had people going down left and right. I thought Zach Rogers, the whole week, was huge.”
- Offensive coordinator Dan Enos is leaving the team briefly to attend the funeral of his father. He and Limpert received game balls. “We gave a game ball to both. That was kind of a cool moment in the locker room.”
- Bielema on the game overall: “It just shows how quick the tide can turn. Our guys can play some good football when they get going.”
- Bielema refuses to say “we’re close” because he says “you guys get your panties in a bunch about it.” He had said that after several of the five losses this season.
- Santos Ramirez stripped the ball from an Ole Miss receiver in the second quarter, Arkansas recovered and scored 21 unanswered points. Bielema says that’s the biggest play of the year for the team. He called it game and season changing.
- Arkansas DE McTelvin Agim did not play in the first quarter due to suspension. Bielema says he had a “personal issue” that caused him to miss part of a meeting during the week.
- Bielema on Limpert: “He kept saying, ‘I got you, coach.’ He’s a confident kid. A great story, a walk-on story.” He adds Limpert was adamant about kicking the ball regardless of the timeouts Ole Miss continued to call in an effort to “ice” him. He wanted to get some practice kicks in.
- Bielema on if halftime this week was any different: “Oh, hell yeah.” He says the team adjusted several things from having music in the locker room to going over adjusts to working with the strength coaches.
- Bielema kick returner De’Vion Warren: “He’s such a contagious player. Kids want to strain and make blocks for him.” Warren returned 5 kicks for an average of 28 yards. He had a long of 45 yards.
- More on Dan Enos: “For Dan to go through what he did these last 10 days is unimaginable. And he’s breaking in a new quarterback. And it’s Cole Kelley, which is kind of a difficult task. [Kelley] is a little bit of cross between every person I’ve ever come across.”
- Bielema on this season overall: “Everyone has a lot of answers for you when you’re in the situations. I appreciate all of the advice I’ve gotten from everybody from A to Z. I know people are passionate and I hope we represented Hog Nation today the way they like it.”