5 things every Arkansas fan needs to know today
Good morning, Arkansas fans. It’s homecoming week on The Hill and Razorback football hopes to make it three wins in a row when UT-Martin comes flying into to town. That’s what Skyhawks do, right? Who knew they were named the Skyhawks? Better yet, who knew they were the Pacers before changing their name 20 years ago?
The real questions burning in Razorback land are: how’s Rawleigh, what’s the running back situation, which injured receiver returns this week, what time the Ole Miss game is next week and what else is going on around the SEC.
Here are five things to know:
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said Rawleigh Williams will miss the remainder of this season, but didn’t rule out Williams from ever playing again. Williams is in good spirits as he looks to make a full recovery from the punishing hit he took last Saturday that left him getting carted off the field with a neck injury.
- The time has been set for the Ole Miss game on Nov. 7 in Oxford, and the Razorbacks will be on CBS for the first time this season.
- The starting tailback position is in limbo between Alex Collins and Kody Walker. Both are listed as possible starters this week, and another running back will be “in the mix” according to coach Bret Bielema.
- Jared Cornelius is listed as a starting receiver on this week’s depth chart. He hasn’t played since suffering a gruesome injury to his forearm in the Texas Tech game on Sept. 19.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn reached out to injured running back Rawleigh Williams after last week’s game.
Other Arkansas news from around the Internet
- Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen silenced many of his critics with his late-game precision and poise in the four-overtime win over Auburn. Allen threw two touchdown passes in overtime.
- Arkansas linebacker Dre Greenlaw won SEC Freshman of the Week honors after his 16-tackle performance on Saturday.
- The Hogs lost their first three overtime games under Bielema, so Saturday’s thrilling four-overtime win over Auburn may have been just what the team needs for confidence to get past that hurdle in the future.
The best stories around the SEC
- Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell broke his leg against Auburn last season. He’s had this week’s rematch with the TIgers on his mind and said Auburn is going to feel his pain this Saturday.
- Next week’s showdown between the SEC’s top two teams could also decide the leader in the Heisman Trophy race when LSU and Alabama clash.
- Tennessee coach Butch Jones said having former Vols quarterback Peyton Manning around the program has a positive impact on everyone at Rocky Top.
- Can Nick Saban play basketball? Alabama basketball coach — and former NBA player — Avery Johnson said he would like to play a game of 1on-1 against the Crimson Tide football coach.