Arkansas’ 2018 recruiting class is nearing completion with 12 commitments now received.
The Razorbacks’ current plan is to sign 16 total in the class, with two spots are reserved for blueshirts (players who arrived on campus as walk-ons but were promised scholarships at a later date) from the 2017 class. Thus, just two available spots remain as of now.
Here’s an update at where things stand for the 2018 class:
Where Arkansas’ class ranks
Arkansas received the commitment of Horn (Mesquite, Texas) High 3-star outside linebacker Maureese Wren on Wednesday. He toured the facilities and attended practice last week before picking the Hogs over Baylor, Colorado, SMU, Texas Tech and Washington. Wren is commitment No. 12 in the class and the third in the last two weeks.
Now that Arkansas has an outside linebacker in the class, the focus is shifting toward a third offensive lineman and likely a tight end. There also may be a third remaining spot come available if the Razorbacks feel they need to make an exception and shift scholarship numbers to make it work.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
- Arkansas recruiting mailbag: Where will the Razorbacks’ 2018 class rank?
- Arkansas continues recruiting roll in Dallas area
- 3-star OLB Maureese Wren commits to Arkansas
- D-line coach John Scott Jr.: Georgia recruits ‘blown away’ by Arkansas
- 3 things to know about 2018 ATH Maureese Wren
- August to-do list on the recruiting trail
- Last Chance U to document team of Arkansas commit Emmit Gooden
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 150
- 5-star offers: 5
- 4-star offers: 71
- In-state recruits offered: 7
- Texas recruits offered: 30
- Georgia recruits offered: 24
- Florida recruits offered: 23
- Louisiana recruits offered: 18
- QB Connor Noland, 4 stars, Greenwood (Ark.)
- LB Bumper Pool, 4 stars, Lovejoy (Lucas, Texas)
- CB Byron Hanspard II, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- ATH Sean Michael Flanagan, 3 stars, Charleston (Ark.)
- RB Jeremy Gibson, 3 stars, Riverside Academy (Reserve, La.)
- CB Tanner McCalister, 3 stars, Rockwall-Heath (Rockwall, Texas)
- DT Emmit Gooden, 3 stars, Independence (Kan.) Community College
- DL John Mincey, 3 stars, Clinch County (Homerville, Ga.)
- OLB Maureese Wren, 3 stars, Horn (Mesquite, Texas)
- T Noah Gatlin, 3 stars, Jonesboro (Ark.)
- DL Isaiah Nichols, 3 stars, Springdale (Ark.)
- T Luke Jones, 3 stars, Pulaski Academy (Little Rock, Ark.)
Top 3 uncommitted targets
4-star QB Gerry Bohanon, Earle (Ark.)
Bohanon has Arkansas among his top 6 schools, along with Baylor, Georgia, Louisville, Mississippi State and Ole Miss. He doesn’t currently have a timetable to announce his pledge. It’s beginning to look like additional visits to some of his top choices this fall will be his next step toward a decision.
The Razorbacks are already in good shape at quarterback with Noland committed. Bohanon would still be a very nice addition as the top in-state prospect in the class. Coach Bret Bielema has stated the Razorbacks would possibly be willing to sign two quarterbacks in the class.
4-star TE Luke Ford, Carterville (Ill.)
Ford committed to Arkansas in March, then denounced his pledge three months later. He has since listed Alabama as his top choice. Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Michigan and a handful of other Power 5 schools remain in the mix, as well.
Considering the list of competitors, it’s tough to envision the Hogs retrieving Ford. But Arkansas can point to its two Mackey Award winners since 2010 to trump all others. No other program has two since 2000, when the award for the nation’s top tight end originated.
3-star DL Nicholas Fulwider, Sandy Creek (Tyrone, Ga.)
Initially expected to announce his commitment late this month, Fulwider is now planning to do so in the fall. He intends to take additional visits before deciding, including a trip to Arkansas early in the 2017 season. His next trip to Fayetteville will be his second after a visit in June.
Fulwider currently has Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Indiana, North Carolina, Rutgers and Vanderbilt as his top choices. After defensive end Mincey committed last week, the three available spots on the defensive line were taken. However, it appears the Hogs may be willing to make an exception for Fulwider.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many are projected to be signed:
- QB: 1/1 (Noland)
- RB: 1/1 (Gibson)
- TE: 0/1
- WR: 0/0
- OL: 2/3 (Gatlin, Jones)
- DL: 3/3 (Gooden, Mincey, Nichols)
- ILB: 1/1 (Pool)
- OLB: 1/1 (Wren)
- CB: 2/2 (Hanspard II, McCalister)
- S: 1/1 (Flanagan)
(Note: Arkansas has two blueshirts from the 2017 class expected to be put on scholarship later and count toward this class.)
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits by state:
- Arkansas: 5 (Flanagan, Gatlin, Jones, Nichols, Noland)
- Texas: 4 (Hanspard II, McCalister, Pool, Wren)
- Georgia: 1 (Mincey)
- Louisiana: 1 (Gibson)
- Kansas: 1 (Gooden)