Arkansas is working to complete its 2017 recruiting class with less than a week until National Signing Day. The Hogs have 22 combined commits and signees.
Where the class ranks
The Razorbacks are No. 28 nationally and No. 10 in the SEC in the latest class rankings. The Hogs have 3 4-star and 19 3-star commits and signees.
Arkansas’ latest commitment came Jan. 19 from 3-star cornerback Kamren Curl. He chose the Razorbacks over Baylor, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, TCU and others. He is 1 of 5 defensive backs committed or signed in what is turning out to be a solid class for the position group.
National Signing Day on Feb. 1 will determine a lot for this class. There are 3 or 4 uncommitted targets expected to announce that day. Among those deciding on signing day are 4-star cornerbacks Chevin Calloway and Brad Stewart. Both officially visited Arkansas on the Jan. 20-22 weekend and have the Razorbacks among their final 3 choices.
- 4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Arkansas beat out SEC West rivals Alabama and Auburn for his commitment, and held off a late charge from Southern Cal. Officially signing Patton, the No. 1 junior college tight end in the class, last month was a significant relief for the Hogs. He still hasn’t arrived on campus, which is expected to happen early this summer.
- 4-star WR Brandon Martin: Equally as big of a signing as Patton, Martin has a great chance to compete for immediate playing time. He is the No. 2 junior college wide receiver in the class and has exceptional size and speed at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and a 40-time around 4.4 seconds.
- 3-star WR Jonathan Nance: A teammate of Martin at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Nance brings sure hands and high character to the program. He left Southern Mississippi in 2015, hoping to land in the SEC, which paid off when he signed last month.
- 4-star S Montaric Brown: The top in-state prospect from Ashdown High School recently considered taking a visit to Oklahoma State before signing day. However, he decided against it and reaffirmed his commitment to Arkansas. He also announced he’ll be wearing No. 21 for the Hogs.
- 3-star RB Chase Hayden: Hayden is a supremely talented athlete with exceptional versatility. He chose Arkansas over offers from Florida, Michigan, Tennessee and several other programs.
- 3-star QB Daulton Hyatt: Hyatt graduated from high school in December and joined the program for the spring semester. He has a strong arm and has tons of potential for growth.
Top uncommitted targets
- 4-star CB Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne High School (Dallas): One of the top cornerback prospects in the class, Calloway plans to announce his decision on National Signing Day. Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas all remain in the running.
- 4-star CB Brad Stewart, McDonogh 35 High School (New Orleans): Florida is widely considered the front-runner to land Stewart, though Arkansas has made a strong push over the past month. The Hogs went from not even in his top six choices to receiving an official visit and being named to his final three.
- 3-star DT Melvin Johnson, Riverside (Calif.) C.C.: Johnson took an official visit to Arkansas in December, and there’s definitely a high level of mutual interest. His former teammate at Riverside, Michael Taylor, signed with the Hogs last summer.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits and signees by position along with how many are projected to be signed at each position:
- QB: 1/1 (Daulton Hyatt)
- RB: 2/2 (Chase Hayden, Maleek Williams)
- TE: 1/1 (Jeremy Patton)
- WR: 6/6 (Maleek Barkley, Jarrod Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Brandon Martin, Jonathan Nance, De’Vion Warren)
- OL: 3/3 (Kirby Adcock, Shane Clenin, Dalton Wagner)
- DL: 1/2 (Troy James)
- LB: 3/4 (Kyrei Fisher, Derrick Munson, Josh Paul)
- CB: 4/5 (Kamren Curl, Jordon Curtis, Korey Hernandez, Jarques McClellion)
- S: 1/1 (Montaric Brown)
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits and signees by state:
- Arkansas: 4 (Adcock, Barnes, Brown, Jackson)
- Louisiana: 4 (James, Munson, Paul, Warren)
- Oklahoma: 3 (Curl, Curtis, Fisher)
- Florida: 2 (McClellion, Williams)
- Mississippi: 2 (Martin, Nance)
- Texas: 1 (Barkley)
- Alabama: 1 (Hyatt)
- Arizona: 1 (Patton)
- Georgia: 1 (Hernandez)
- Illinois: 1 (Wagner)
- Missouri: 1 (Clenin)
- Tennessee: 1 (Hayden)
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.