Arkansas is working to complete its 2017 class with National Signing Day less than two weeks away. The Hogs currently have 22 combined commits and signees. They are expected to sign 23-25 total.
Where Arkansas’ class ranks
The Razorbacks are No. 27 nationally and No. 11 in the SEC in the latest class rankings. The Hogs have three 4-star and 19 3-star commits and signees. The class fluctuated between 15 to 30 in the rankings since last summer, when Arkansas gained the majority of its commits.
Defensive back Kamren Curl became the latest commit in the class, announcing his pledge Thursday afternoon. The 3-star recruit from Muskogee (Okla.) High School chose the Hogs over Baylor, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and TCU. He is the fifth defensive back commit in the class.
Arkansas will host Curl and 13 other 2017 commits and targets this weekend. Chevin Calloway and Brad Stewart — both 4-star cornerbacks — headline the list along with 4-star safety commit Montaric Brown.
The Razorbacks would ideally land another defensive back and a defensive lineman to complete this class.
- 4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Arkansas beat out SEC West rivals Alabama and Auburn for his commitment, and held off a late charge from Southern Cal. Officially signing Patton, the No. 1 junior college tight end in the class, last month was a significant relief for the Hogs.
- 4-star WR Brandon Martin: Equally as big of a signing as Patton, Martin has a great chance to compete for immediate playing time. He is the No. 2 junior college wide receiver in the class and has exceptional size and speed at 6-foot-4, 200 pounds and runs a 4.4-second 40.
- 3-star WR Jonathan Nance: A teammate of Martin at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Nance brings sure hands and high character to the program. He left Southern Mississippi in 2015 hoping to land in the SEC, which paid off when he signed last month.
- 4-star S Montaric Brown: The top in-state prospect from Ashdown High School is scheduled to officially visit Arkansas this weekend and Oklahoma State just before National Signing Day. Though he’s taking another visit, he’s considered firm with the Hogs.
- 3-star RB Chase Hayden: Hayden is a supremely talented athlete with exceptional versatility. He chose Arkansas over offers from Florida, Michigan, Tennessee and several other programs.
- 3-star CB Kamren Curl: Curl’s recruitment intensified from several major programs the past few months. Arkansas, Baylor, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, TCU and Texas were all in play when he committed to the Razorbacks on Thursday.
Top uncommitted targets
- 4-star CB Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne High School (Dallas): One of the top cornerback prospects in the class, Calloway plans to announce his decision on National Signing Day. Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas all remain in the running. He’ll officially visit the Hogs this weekend.
- 4-star CB Brad Stewart, McDonough 35 High School (New Orleans): Arkansas’ coaching staff, primarily wide receivers coach Michael Smith, has persuaded Stewart into an official visit this weekend. He released a list of his top 6 choices last month with the Hogs not included, so his visit certainly comes as a surprise. Though the class is filling up fast, if he wants to be a Razorback, the staff will certainly have a spot for him.
- 3-star DT Melvin Johnson, Riverside (Calif.) C.C.: Johnson took an official visit to Arkansas in December, and there’s apparently a high level of mutual interest. His former teammate at Riverside, Michael Taylor, signed with the Hogs last summer.
- 3-star DT Malik Young, Eastern Arizona College: Coach Bret Bielema visited Young on the first day of the current contact period last week. He would be a perfect fit as a lineman in the Hogs’ new 3-4 system. It’s difficult to tell where he’s leaning at this point, though Florida is beginning to make a strong push.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits and signees by position along with how many are projected to be signed at each position:
- QB: 1/1 (Daulton Hyatt)
- RB: 2/2 (Chase Hayden, Maleek Williams)
- TE: 1/1 (Jeremy Patton)
- WR: 6/6 (Maleek Barkley, Jarrod Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Brandon Martin, Jonathan Nance, De’Vion Warren)
- OL: 3/3 (Kirby Adcock, Shane Clenin, Dalton Wagner)
- DL: 1/2 (Troy James)
- LB: 3/3 (Kyrei Fisher, Derrick Munson, Josh Paul)
- CB: 4/5 (Kamren Curl, Jordon Curtis, Korey Hernandez, Jarques McClellion)
- S: 1/1 (Montaric Brown)
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits and signees by state:
- Arkansas: 4 (Adcock, Barnes, Brown, Jackson)
- Louisiana: 4 (James, Munson, Paul, Warren)
- Oklahoma: 3 (Curl, Curtis, Fisher)
- Florida: 2 (McClellion, Williams)
- Mississippi: 2 (Martin, Nance)
- Texas: 1 (Barkley)
- Alabama: 1 (Hyatt)
- Arizona: 1 (Patton)
- Georgia: 1 (Hernandez)
- Illinois: 1 (Wagner)
- Missouri: 1 (Clenin)
- Tennessee: 1 (Hayden)
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.