Arkansas is working to complete its 2017 class with a little more than a month until National Signing Day. The Hogs currently have 21 combined commits and signees. They are expected to sign 23-25 total.
Where the class ranks
The Razorbacks are No. 22 nationally and No. 10 in the SEC in the latest class rankings. The Hogs have four 4-star and 17 3-star commits and signees. The class has fluctuated between 15 to 30 in the rankings since last summer, when Arkansas gained the majority of its commits.
Arkansas is looking to the defensive side of the ball to close out this class. The Razorbacks currently have just eight commits on that side of the ball, compared to the 13 projected to play on offense.
Cornerback Chevin Calloway and safety Kamren Curl are two uncommitted prospects expected to have Arkansas in contention to the end. Both are planning to announce their choices Feb. 1 — National Signing Day — and take official visits to Fayetteville later this month.
Defensive line is the biggest area of need. Troy James is the only current commit within the position group. Expect Arkansas to show heavy interest in at least a few more defensive linemen over the final weeks before signing day.
- 4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Arkansas beat out SEC West rivals Alabama and Auburn for his commitment, and held off a late charge from Southern Cal. Officially signing Patton, the No. 1 junior college tight end in the class, last month was a significant relief for the Hogs.
- 4-star WR Brandon Martin: Equally as big of a signing as Patton, Martin has a great chance to compete for immediate playing time. He is the No. 2 junior college wide receiver in the class and has exceptional size and speed.
- 3-star WR Jonathan Nance: A teammate of Martin at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Nance brings sure hands and high character to the program. He left Southern Mississippi in 2015, hoping to land in the SEC, which paid off when he signed last month.
- 4-star S Montaric Brown: The top in-state prospect from Ashdown (Ark.) High School already has deep connections within the program. However, the Hogs apparently will have to battle Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to ultimately land Brown. He’s exploring the idea of visiting both schools later this month.
- 4-star RB Chase Hayden: Hayden is a supremely talented athlete with exceptional versatility. He chose Arkansas over offers from Florida, Michigan, Tennessee and several other programs.
- 3-star QB Daulton Hyatt: He is one of five high school recruits to have signed a financial aid agreement with Arkansas. Hyatt has graduated from high school and plans to enroll at the midterm. He possesses a strong arm and has tons of potential for growth.
Top uncommitted targets
Here’s a look at Arkansas’ top uncommitted targets:
- 4-star CB Chevin Calloway, Bishop Dunne High School (Dallas): One of the top cornerback prospects in the class, Calloway is planning to announce his decision on signing day. Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas all remain in the running.
- 3-star LB Thomas Johnston, Spanish Fort (Ala.) High School: For several months, Arkansas has been in serious competition with Auburn, Iowa, LSU and others to land Johnston. Though the Hogs already have three linebackers in this class, they won’t say no to a talent like Johnston.
- 3-star safety Kamren Curl, Muskogee (Okla.) High School: Curl has become an intriguing target for many major programs in recent months. Arkansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, TCU and Texas are his final options. He plans to announce his choice on signing day.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits and signees by position along with how many are projected to be signed at each position:
- QB: 1/1 (Daulton Hyatt)
- RB: 2/2 (Chase Hayden, Maleek Williams)
- TE: 1/1 (Jeremy Patton)
- WR: 6/6 (Maleek Barkley, Jarrod Barnes, Koilan Jackson, Brandon Martin, Jonathan Nance, De’Vion Warren)
- OL: 3/3 (Kirby Adcock, Shane Clenin, Dalton Wagner)
- DL: 1/2 (Troy James)
- LB: 3/3 (Kyrei Fisher, Derrick Munson, Josh Paul)
- CB: 3/4 (Jordon Curtis, Korey Hernandez, Jarques McClellion)
- S: 1/2 (Montaric Brown)
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits and signees by state:
- Arkansas: 4 (Adcock, Barnes, Brown, Jackson)
- Louisiana: 4 (James, Munson, Paul, Warren)
- Florida: 2 (McClellion, Williams)
- Mississippi: 2 (Martin, Nance)
- Oklahoma: 2 (Curtis, Fisher)
- Texas: 1 (Barkley)
- Alabama: 1 (Hyatt)
- Arizona: 1 (Patton)
- Georgia: 1 (Hernandez)
- Illinois: 1 (Wagner)
- Missouri: 1 (Clenin)
- Tennessee: 1 (Hayden)
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.