FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — This is unlike other countdowns you have seen honoring Arkansas’ 25 seasons in the SEC. These are memories. And we here at SEC Country wanted to reflect on the best — and worst — of the last quarter-century.
This countdown is not just the best football moments or best games. It includes “where were you when” snapshots and tales of players, teams and seasons.
It should be noted that this list is limited to the so-called “big three” sports. Apologies to other sports — especially track & field — but at some point comparing moments across the spectrum becomes impossible.
Here are the previous top moments:
- No. 25: The moment Arkansas’ 2012 season hit rock bottom
- No 24: The hiring of Bret Bielema
- No. 23: Run to the 2004 College World Series
- No. 22: Rohan Gaines’ 102-yard INT return vs Ole Miss
- No. 21: Arkansas stuns No. 4 Tennessee
- No. 20: Austin Allen vs. TCU
- No. 19: Miracle on Markham II
- No. 18: Joe Adams’ punt return vs. Tennessee
- No. 17: 1995 SEC title game
- No. 16: Razorbacks fall to The Citadel in 1992
15. 2009 Florida game penalties
In a game that featured the top two quarterbacks in the SEC — Tim Tebow and Ryan Mallett — the officiating crew stole the headlines.
With No. 1 Florida trailing 20-13 and 8 minutes remaining, the Razorbacks were called for consecutive penalties that proved to be critical in the game’s outcome. First came a questionable pass interference call followed by a personal foul the SEC later ruled should never have been called.
The two flags allowed Florida to move from Arkansas’ 36-yard line to the 10. The Gators scored on the next play to tie the game.
The Hogs missed a 38-yard field-goal attempt on their next drive. Tebow then drove the Gators 68 yards to set up the game-winning 27-yard field goal and the defending national champs escaped with a 23-20 victory.
If it’s any consolation to Arkansas fans (it’s not), Marc Curles’ officiating crew was suspended for three weeks.