FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — If the Arkansas football team has any hope of salvaging its season, the Razorbacks have to win Saturday against Ole Miss.
Getting blown out likely ends things. Playing well and losing won’t work. Arkansas must win. Anything short of victory and the Razorbacks have practically no shot at a bowl game. With no shot at a bowl, there is little chance coach Bret Bielema can save his job.
The Razorbacks travel to Vaught-Hemingway Stadium for an 11 a.m. (noon ET) kickoff against the Rebels in Oxford, Miss. Ole Miss has its own issues, including a quarterback who is out for the season. That makes an Arkansas win even more critical.
SEC Country Arkansas reporters Eric W. Bolin and Trent Shadid discuss the game, its importance, and what happens with the Razorbacks in this week’s edition of Sound Off.
Below are timestamps for specific topics:
- Start – It’s hard to hit rock bottom, but you can make it if you keep digging. That’s where we are with the Arkansas football team right now.
- 1:15 – Some don’t want to look on the bright side, but there are some things that could at least lessen the disaster this season has been so far. Can this team still make a bowl? A 5-7 record gets them there, probably. Maybe.
- 3:00 – What’s the status of Bret Bielema? Even if Arkansas turns things around, a good chunk of the fan base is so finished with Bielema that it’s hard to envision athletic director Jeff Long keeping him on board.
- 5:00 – The fans may want to hit the reset button, but the question is whether that’s what is best for the program.
- 7:30 – The notion that Bielema should be fired now is silly. Anyone Long would want to hire is going to be available in late November.
- 10:00 – Any chance Arkansas wins Saturday? A chance.