FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas held its first scrimmage of the spring Saturday afternoon inside Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
Here’s the rundown of what Bielema had to say following the scrimmage:
- The team is mostly healthy following the scrimmage. Of the players that participated, linebackers Alexy Jean-Baptiste and Giovanni LaFrance came out with what Bielema believes to be minor injuries.
- The defense played only it’s base 3-4 set. “They really weren’t doing a lot, which obviously hamstrings them. But I thought they did a good job with it.” Bielema says they will begin to bring “pressures” starting next week.
- Bielema on the quarterbacks: “Outside of Austin they need to continue to improve making decisions. But I think Ty (Storey) and Cole (Kelley) have both had a good spring.” Bielema says there is no front-runner between Storey and Kelley at this point.
- Wide receiver Cam Colbert will transfer. Wide receiver Luke Rossi has quit football due to hamstring issues. He may become a student coach in the future.
- Bielema on defensive tackle Austin Capps starting Saturday: “We’re really just trying to find a mix of the best three to get on the field at any given time.”
- Bielema feels the offensive line is “playing at a high level” overall. “I like the way that group is coming along.”
- On wide receiver Jordan Jones who had a good day: “What we’ve got to do is convince Jordan Jones he can be good. If Jordan Jones wants to be a really good player he can be that.”
- Sophomore linebacker De’Jon Harris has a knack for making the “special plays” according to Bielema. He is starting at one of the inside linebacker spots.
- Freshman linebacker Kyrei Fisher “enjoys contact” and has two of the biggest hits so far this spring. He is working with the second team at outside linebacker.
- The running backs had a big day. Bielema believes that’s more a result of how good they are at running back rather than being bad on defense. “I think Rawleigh and Dev are two of the better backs in the SEC.”
- Bielema on Jake Raulerson, who transferred in from Texas last summer, starting at right guard: “Jake has begun to understand what we ask offensive linemen to do here. What we do here is different. We develop guys.”
- Senior center Frank Ragnow did not participate in the scrimmage. Bielema he was not happy, but feels there isn’t enough room for improvement for it to be worth the risk. “It’s kind of the risk/reward. He could’ve played today and maybe got a little bit better, but the possibility of something negative happening just isn’t worth it.”
- Bielema on the tight ends: “Austin Cantrell is a very special player. He’s about as good of a blocking tight end as I’ve had here or even before.” Bielema adds he needs to improve becoming a better receiver. He also mentions C.J. O’Grady and Will Gragg as those who are improving.