Welcome to SEC Country’s daily Arkansas Razorbacks recruiting notebook. In this edition, we discuss the commits in the playoffs this week and recruiting in Missouri.
Arkansas commits in playoff action across the country this week
As high school football playoffs heat up across the country, several Arkansas commits remain in contention for state titles. There are six 2018 commits and a 2019 commit set to play in a postseason game this weekend.
Here’s the list of which commits are still playing and what they’ll face this week:
- LB Bumper Pool, Lovejoy (Lucas, Texas) vs. Lone Star (Frisco, Texas): Pool and Lovejoy will play inside AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, in Texas’ Class 5A D-II area round. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. Saturday.
- QB Connor Noland, Greenwood (Ark.) vs. West Memphis (Ark.): Led by Noland, undefeated Greenwood will host West Memphis at 7 p.m. Friday for a spot in Arkansas’ Class 6A state title game.
- CB Byron Hanspard II, DeSoto (Texas) vs. Carrol (Southlake, Texas): Hanspard and DeSoto are attempting to defend the Texas Class 6A D-II championship. Next up is a matchup in the area round to be played Saturday at 7 p.m. inside The Star, the Dallas Cowboys’ training facility in Frisco.
- ATH Sean Michael Flanagan, Charleston (Ark.) vs. Osceola (Ark.): Flanagan’s Charleston team enters the Arkansas Class 3A quarterfinals undefeated. The Tigers will play at home Friday with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m.
- OL Luke Jones, Pulaski Academy (Little Rock, Ark.) at Nettleton (Jonesboro, Ark.): Pulaski Academy is riding a 24-game winning streak and now hits the road in an Arkansas Class 5A semifinal this Friday at 7 p.m.
- DE John Mincey, Clinch County (Homerville, Ga.) at Mitchell County (Camilla, Ga.): Mincey and Clinch County are on the road looking for an eighth-straight win this season, playing in Georgia’s Class A Public quarterfinals.
- 2019 QB Ty Evans, Palmer Ridge (Monument, Colo.) vs. Palisade (Colo.): Behind Evans’ arm, Palmer Ridge has had victories of 35 and 42 points in Colorado’s Class 3A playoffs so far. Evans will look to lead Palmer Ridge to the state finals in a home game Saturday at 1 p.m.
Bret Bielema discusses Missouri recruiting ahead of Mizzou game
One of the best ways to impress recruits in a certain state is to beat the flagship school in that state. Arkansas has a chance to do that this week with Missouri recruits.
The Show Me State, particularly in St. Louis, has been an area the Hogs have definitely had circled on their recruiting map in recent years.
“I know before I came here there were some players, especially from the St. Louis area that had been good here,” coach Bret Bielema said. “It’s an area that we try to hit and kind of consider it, at least in St. Louis, kind of similar to a Dallas area. It’s close enough, it’s drivable, let’s get in there and immerse ourselves.”
Arkansas has six players on its current roster from Missouri. The Hogs have offered six players from the state in the 2018 class and have already offered five for 2019.
“I’d recruited St. Louis before at [Wisconsin],” Bielema said. “It was one area that was unique in that there was carryover from contacts from my previous job to where we are today.”
Miss a previous edition? Find every SEC Country daily Arkansas Razorbacks recruiting notebook right here.