FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas coach Bret Bielema addressed the media Saturday following the team’s first scrimmage of fall camp.
Here’s the rundown of what Bielema had to say.
- Bielema says he was pleased with the team’s scrimmage today. He says the team was “crisp” and quarterback Austin Allen was good as he has been all fall camp.
- Running back Kody Walker was held out after he aggravated a minor injury earlier this week.
- Freshman running back T.J. Hammonds did not play. He tweaked his knee prior to the scrimmage. It is not expected to be serious.
- Bielema brags on the play of running back Rawleigh Williams III and Devwah Whaley today.
- Bielema says he felt the wide receivers played really well. He’s really excited about the group. Dominique Reed was limited after rolling his ankle. It is not expected to be serious.
- The defense was asked not to do anything too complicated today and just come out in the base defense to see how they look.
- Jake Raulerson, a Texas transfer who started at right tackle today, has played three different offensive line positions and has been impressive to Bielema.
- Whaley, a true freshman, went to a level today Bielema hadn’t seen yet. He was among the most impressive players in the scrimmage.
- Bielema is pleased with defensive end Randy Ramsey, who he re-awarded a scholarship to last Sunday. He was impressive today working primarily with the reserves.
- Quarterback Rafe Peavey has been limited some after having back surgery in July. Bielema says he’s been impressed with Ty Storey and Cole Kelley at quarterback. All three are competing to be the backup behind Allen.
- Freshman wide receiver Kofi Boateng tore his ACL on Thursday running a route in the redzone.
- Freshman fullback Hayden Johnson has stood out to Bielema. He says Johnson has a good understanding for what they’re going to ask him to do and will see significant playing time.
- Bielema brags on defensive backs coach Paul Rhoads for helping the secondary improve since last season. He mentions several players who are competing for playing time in the defensive backfield and says that competition is contributing to the improvement.
- Senior wide receiver Keon Hatcher has “really practiced well” and Bielema expects him to be one of the key contributors and leaders on the team.
- The defensive will be given more of an opportunity to open things up during next Saturday’s scrimmage. Bielema says they weren’t totally vanilla today, adding “they had a little swirly in there.”
- Offensive tackle Dan Skipper is playing “really, really, really well” at left tackle. He had a minor leg injury today, but returned to the scrimmage shortly after and Bielema says he’s fine.