LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Arkansas coach Bret Bielema addressed the media Monday morning before speaking at a luncheon for the Little Rock Touchdown Club.
Here’s the rundown of what Bielema had to say.
- Bielema gave the team Monday off. It’s the first day of fall classes. Fall camp concluded with Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Wide receiver Keon Hatcher and running back Devwah Whaley will both be ready to go this week after wearing green non-contact jerseys during Saturday’s scrimmage.
- Bielema says Austin Allen is clearly the best player at quarterback. He also brags on freshman QB Cole Kelley, but says he has a long way to go. He has not made a decision on if Kelley will redshirt. Ty Storey, the other QB competing to backup Allen, is playing “his best football” since arriving at Arkansas.
- Allen “by far, if you ask everyone in the building” is our best quarterback. Austin’s numbers through fall camp have been almost identical to his older brother Brandon’s last year.
- Defensive end Tevin Beanum is now full-go after joining the team last week. He was dealing with a personal issue. Bielema believes he’s in a really good place. The team has embraced him back and Bielema believes he won’t miss a beat.
- Bielema says this is the only team he’s had with a senior at every position group that represents everything he wants. Having that senior leadership is “worth its weight in gold.”
- Senior defensive end Deatrich Wise has a cameo in the movie “Greater” as a “grunter.” He is not physically in the movie. Bielema jokingly says he wasn’t asked to be in the movie.
- After the AP Poll recently came out: “I don’t really care about preseason polls. I care about postseason polls.” Bielema highlights there are a couple teams in the top 25 they’ve beaten the past two years.
- “I love coming over here,” Bielema says about the yearly game at Little Rock’s War Memorial Stadium. However, he says he likes the consistency of playing at home and having an advantage in Fayetteville. He has no idea where the Little Rock series will go from here.
- Bielema likes being a part of the coaches poll. He jokingly says he actually fills it out, not the staff.
- Defensive end Randy Ramsey is “a good pass rusher, which is probably what we needed to add to our program.”
- Bielema “really likes” what he’s seen from the offensive line in practice.