FAYETTEVILLE, Arkansas – Unpretty games are becoming the usual with Arkansas basketball this year. But the team is 10-1 with one game left in nonconference before SEC play starts.
Here’s what coach Mike Anderson said after his team handled the Bison on Tuesday night.
- Arkansas shot just 39 percent and committed 16 turnovers, but the Razorbacks still won handily. Anderson said he expected it: “They were not expected to win but I told our guys, ‘this one of those games you’re going to have to grind it out.
- With school finished for the semester and SEC play around the corner Anderson had a bit of fear not just because of North Dakota State: “I was worried about this game from the standpoint of did my guys check out … Sometimes you can overlook a team.”
- Those turnovers were the biggest annoyance, Anderson said: “The glaring thing that took place was the turnovers and the kind of turnovers we had. The unforced, nonchalant turnovers and we can’t afford to do that. “
- Arkansas put the game away with a 16-0 run in the middle of the second half. Lineup changes sparked it: “I do know the guys, when they came off the bench, it really changed. Went to a small lineup, four guards and Moses and I thought the matchups were a lot better.”
- Anderson had some words for his team at the free throw line just before halftime ended: “I just talked about the pace of the game was really to their liking. It was real slow. we’ve got to get some energy in the building. It’s boring. It was boring for me. Hell, let’s pick it up.”
- Arkansas’ next game comes Thursday night in North Little Rock against Sam Houston State. Guards Anton Beard, Daryl Macon and Dusty Hannahs are all Little Rock natives: “I’m sure they’ll be charged up about it. But they’ve got to understand it’s basketball. It’s a team sport. This is going to be our 11th game and we’ve got to get better.”
- What does Sam Houston State bring to the table: “They’re picked to win their league. I’m sure it’s going to be a team that’s going to come in with no fear. Defensively they’re a pretty good team. I think they’re one of the top scoring teams in the league. Top seven guys come back from last year, they’ve won five games in a row, I expect them to come out, and they’re going to compete. That’s what they’re going to do.”