Arkansas men’s basketball coach Mike Anderson was pleased with his team’s effort following a 77-74 win over Texas on Saturday in Houston.
The Razorbacks improved to 9-1 on the season. They’ll be back in action Tuesday at home vs. North Dakota State.
Here’s the rundown of what Anderson had to say following the win:
- “An Arkansas-Texas classic,” Anderson says to open his postgame radio interview. “That’s what this is. It came down to a defensive stop there. We’re up 3 and we needed a stop. Let’s credit (Texas coach) Shaka (Smart) and his team. They wouldn’t go away. They just kept fighting back. What a courageous effort by our guys. It was a tale of two halves. We always talk about if there’s a half we want to win, we want to win that second half and that came to fruition in Houston today.”
- On defending the 3-point line on the last possession: “We did an awesome job. They ran like a triple screen for (Tevin) Mack to get him open. I thought we did a good job denying him the ball. Then once (Jacob) Young caught it in the corner, I thought (Anton Beard) did a real good job of making him a passer. Now he puts it in the hands of the (Kerwin) Roach kid, he’s deep out there and there it is, the game’s over with.”
- On where the team is at now: “We’re growing up. I think that’s what we’re seeing with this basketball team.”
- Anderson says the team played to what they preach offensively by getting to the free-throw line. Arkansas shot 29 of 31 from the line in the game. “I tell our guys, you’ve got to shoot free throws. We’re an attacking team.”
- On the game-high 23 points from guard Daryl Macon: “How about Daryl Macon? 14 for 14 (on free throws).”
- Anderson says the difference in the game was “our bench play.” Arkansas’ bench outscored Texas’ 30-4 in the game.
- Anderson was pleased with how Arkansas played down the stretch. “We’ve still got to work on some late-game situations, but I thought we did have poise. As we should. We’ve got some guys in there that are experienced.”
- On the second-half performance: “Our pressure defense was much better. We were in attack mode. I thought you saw a much-better flow in the second half. We came out in the second half and just made a tremendous effort of getting it inside to Moses. That puts pressure on the other team’s defense. Our guys did a much better job in the second half. We had 3 assists at halftime and we end up with 10. Our shooting percentage went up. But the one stat I love is that one that says 77-74.”