FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Friday is almost certainly the last game Bret Bielema will coach at Arkansas.
What a long, strange trip it’s been.
It’s appropriate, too, that the era ends against Missouri. This is the same Tigers team that sent Bielema and the Razorbacks into the downward spiral they’re still unable to escape. Mizzou and Arkansas’ Battle Line Rivalry may have seemed contrived at first, but this thing is only growing.
Does Arkansas have a shot? Depends on whom you ask.
- Also see: Hogs, Ole Miss to play in Little Rock next season
- Austin Allen gave Arkansas everything he had as starting QB
- Persistence personified: The unlikely rise of McTelvin Agim
SEC Country beat writers Eric W. Bolin and Trent Shadid have differing predictions. Bolin believes the Razorbacks will go out with a bang to close a Bielema tenure that isn’t nearly as awful as some want to proclaim it. Shadid thinks the Hogs lose again, which would definitely be unsurprising.
Bolin and Shadid talk Battle Line Rivalry, Bielema’s future and more in this week’s “Sound Off.”
Below are time stamps for specific topics:
- Start – This is it. The end for Arkansas. Is it the end for Bret Bielema, too?
- 2:00 – Out, too, are Arkansas’ seniors. The last batch of Bielema’s first complete signing class and players such as Jared Cornelius and Frank Ragnow, too. It’s a bummer of an end for them.
- 2:45 – The legacy of Bielema is tied to the legacy of the Allen brothers. Austin and Brandon Allen are synonymous with Bielema. But we think they’re going to be thought of more fondly as years pass.
- 4:45 – Arkansas is bad this year — no doubt about it. The question is how quickly it can get good again. Would the right coach fix things quickly?
- 6:45 – The Hogs have a chance Friday. Really. Missouri isn’t great. Arkansas isn’t either, but don’t underestimate the “Win one for the Gipper” situation in which the Hogs find themselves.
- 8:00 – It’s weird to think this is probably it for Bielema. How will he be remembered?