Join us here at SEC Country for the “Trent’s Trough” notebook as Arkansas Razorbacks beat writer Trent Shadid provides the latest insight on all Hogs recruiting news.
4-star Montgomery arrives in Fayetteville
Hillsboro High School (Tampa, Fla.) 4-star cornerback Ken Montgomery arrived in Fayetteville on Thursday for an unofficial visit that is expected to last four days.
Montgomery (6-foot-2, 165 pounds) is rated as the No. 34 cornerback in the 2018 class. He has an offer from the Hogs and 15 other Power 5 Conference programs. He previously indicated to Rivals.com he is interested in leaving the state of Florida for college.
Thursday, Montgomery posted a picture with Arkansas coach Bret Bielema to Twitter. The caption stated he was “chopping it up” with Bielema.
— Ken Montgomery Jr (@KenKensmiley5) November 3, 2016
Bishop McGuinness High School (Oklahoma City) 3-star offensive lineman Owen Condon — another highly-sought 2018 prospect — has also been confirmed as an unofficial visitor for the Razorbacks’ matchup with Florida.
2017 recruiting class snapshot
During the month of November, Trent’s Trough will provide a weekly glance at the Razorbacks’ 2017 recruiting class. Be sure to check each Friday to catch up on all the latest with the class.
Where the class ranks
The Razorbacks are No. 24 nationally and No. 10 in the SEC with 19 commits in the 2017 class. The Hogs have three 4-star commits, 15 3-stars and one 2-star. The class has fluctuated between 20-30 in the rankings since last summer when Arkansas they gained the majority of its commits.
Here’s a look at Arkansas’ top committed recruits:
- 4-star RB Chase Hayden: Recently elevated to a 4-star recruit, Hayden is a supremely-talented athlete with exceptional versatility.
- 4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Arkansas beat out Alabama, Auburn and others to land the commitment of the top junior college tight end.
- 4-star S Montaric Brown: The top in-state prospect from Ashdown (Ark.) High School already has deep connections within the program and appears content with his decision.
Here’s a look at Arkansas’ top uncommitted targets:
- 4-star OL Chuck Filaga: He has Arkansas among his top choices, but has yet to narrow his list to fewer than 10 schools.
- 4-star DE Micheal Clemons: The Hogs have been all over Clemons the past few months as he’s vaulted up the recruiting rankings and is now considered a top-10 junior college prospect.
- 3-star DT Javier Edwards: His commitment to Florida hasn’t stopped Arkansas from heavily pursuing the 325-pound junior college defensive tackle.
- 3-star S J’Marick Woods: A Michigan commit, Woods called his visit to Arkansas in October the best he’d been on.
- 3-star LB Thomas Johnston: The Hogs are in heavy competition with Auburn, Iowa, LSU and others to land Johnston, who took an official visit to Fayetteville last month.
The latest news
The Hogs have not had a commit since July 29 when 3-star offensive lineman Dalton Wagner became their 19th in the class.
Arkansas nearly had what would’ve been considered a de-commitment when Hayden was rumored to be taking a visit to Michigan in early October. Had he taken that visit, sources told SEC Country he would no longer be considered among the Hogs’ commits despite never officially de-committing himself. However, Hayden did not take the visit and has since stated he never had any intention of wavering on his commitment to Arkansas.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position and how many total are likely projected to be signed at each position:
- QB: 1/1
- RB: 2/2
- TE: 1/1
- WR: 5/5
- OL: 3/5
- DL: 1/3
- LB: 2/3
- CB: 3/3
- S: 1/2
Here’s a breakdown of Arkansas’ commits by state:
- Arkansas: 4
- Louisiana: 3
- Florida: 2
- Texas: 2
- Alabama: 1
- Arizona: 1
- Georgia: 1
- Illinois: 1
- Mississippi: 1
- Missouri: 1
- Oklahoma: 1
- Tennessee: 1
Horn reaffirms preferred walk-on commitment
Arkansas preferred walk-on commit Audry Horn stated his pledge to join the Hogs is firm via Twitter on Wednesday.
Horn is planning to join the program as a walk-on despite recently receiving an offer from Arkansas State. He is a 3-star recruit from Catholic High School (Little Rock, Ark.).
— Audry Horn (@BIGHORN78) November 2, 2016
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.