Join us here at SEC Country for the “Trent’s Trough” notebook as Arkansas Razorbacks beat writer Trent Shadid provides the latest insight on all Hogs recruiting news.
With No. 17 Arkansas set to face No. 21 Auburn on Saturday, this edition of Trent’s Trough will focus on past and present recruiting battles between the Hogs and Tigers.
Arkansas-Auburn 2017 recruiting battles
Arkansas and Auburn are contending to land several big-time recruits in the 2017 class. Some players already have announced their commitment to one of the schools. Others remain undecided, with both programs very much in play.
Here’s a look at some of the top recruiting battles involving the Hogs and Tigers in the 2017 class:
- 4-star DB Montaric Brown: Arkansas’ top in-state prospect from Ashdown High School committed to the Razorbacks in late July. Prior to that, he had listed the Tigers among his top schools and told SEC Country he planned to take an official visit to Auburn this season.
- 4-star TE Jeremy Patton: Another highly coveted JUCO recruit, Patton holds more than 25 offers from FBS programs. He committed to Arkansas in June, reportedly selecting the Hogs over Auburn and Louisville.
- 4-star DT Isaiah Buggs: One of the top junior-college prospects in the class, Buggs has listed Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Mississippi as his top schools. However, that hasn’t stopped Arkansas from heavily pursuing him. The Hogs are hopeful a strong 2016 season can get them back in contention to land Buggs, but the Tigers remain a more-likely possibility.
- 3-star LB Thomas Johnston: From Spanish Fort (Ala.) High School, Johnston has an offer from both programs, but the Tigers are getting no home-state advantage here. He announced his current top seven schools after visiting Arkansas last weekend. The Hogs made the cut; the Tigers did not.
Arkansas-Auburn 2016 recruiting scoreboard
Continuing to look at recruiting battles between Arkansas and Auburn, here’s a glance at the competition between the schools in the 2016 class.
By the numbers
- 1: 5-star prospect signed by Arkansas and Auburn
- 1: Arkansas signee with an offer from Auburn
- 4: Auburn signees with an offer from Arkansas
- 5: 4-star prospects signed by Arkansas
- 12: 4-star prospects signed by Auburn
- 23: The final class ranking for Arkansas
- 9: The final class ranking for Auburn
Most competitive signing
- 5-star DL McTelvin Agim (Ark.): Auburn pushed hard for the top 2016 prospect in Arkansas from Hope High School. Agim eventually cut his choices to four schools, with the Tigers not making the list. He signed and enrolled early with the Hogs. Agim already has become a regular contributor on the defensive front.
Recruiting in enemy territory
Both programs haven’t been afraid to recruit the other’s home state. They’ve even done so with some recent success.
- 2017 3-star QB Daulton Hyatt: The Etowah (Attalla, Ala.) High School quarterback committed to Arkansas last spring. He has yet to receive an offer or much interest from Auburn.
- 2017 3-star LB Thomas Johnston: As previously mentioned, Johnston is one of Arkansas’ primary remaining targets in the class. Auburn apparently has fallen out of favor now.
- 2015 2-star K Will Hastings: A wide receiver and kicker at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Ark., Hastings is a sophomore walk-on playing both positions at Auburn. He appeared in two games last season with 1 kickoff. This season, Hastings has been in five games with 68 receiving yards and 1 touchdown.
- 2012 3-star DE JaMichael Winston: A 3-star recruit from Vigor (Prichard, Ala.) High School, Winston never was offered by Auburn. He committed to the Hogs during his junior year and held that pledge through National Signing Day. Winston, now a senior, has been a key contributor for Arkansas the past three seasons.
- 2012 3-star DE Darius Philon: Winston’s high school teammate initially committed to Auburn and then Alabama before signing with Arkansas on National Signing Day in 2012. He was an All-SEC selection as a redshirt sophomore for the Hogs and then entered the NFL draft. He is with the San Diego Chargers.
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.