Join us here at SEC Country for the “Trent’s Trough” notebook as Arkansas Razorbacks beat writer Trent Shadid provides the latest insight on all Hogs recruiting news.
With No. 25 (CFP) Arkansas set to host No. 24 LSU on Saturday (7 p.m. ET, ESPN), this edition of Trent’s Trough will focus on past-and-present recruiting battles between the Hogs and the Tigers.
Arkansas-LSU 2017 recruiting battles
Arkansas and LSU are contending to land several big-time recruits in the 2017 class. Some players already have announced their commitment to one of the schools. Others remain undecided, with both programs very much in play.
Here’s a look at some of the top recruiting battles involving the Hogs and the Tigers in the 2017 class:
- 4-star S Montaric Brown: Arkansas’ top in-state prospect from Ashdown High School committed to the Razorbacks in late July. Prior to that, he had listed LSU among his top schools and told SEC Country he planned to take an official visit to Baton Rouge this season.
- 4-star S Todd Harris: Alabama, LSU and Mississippi were listed as his top choices in August. Despite that, the Hogs have continued to pursue the Plaquemine (La.) High School prospect. He recently told SEC Country’s Sam Spiegelman he remains in regular contact with Arkansas’ coaching staff.
- 4-star CB Chevin Calloway: Recently de-committed from Iowa, Calloway has offers from Arkansas and LSU. The Hogs, despite already having three cornerback commits in the class, appear more eager to land Calloway than the Tigers.
- 3-star LB Thomas Johnston: Johnston recently broke Alabama’s all-time tackles record. He’s been a primary focus for Arkansas as it has tried to close out the class, but programs including LSU have remained in play for Johnston.
- 3-star DE Justin Thomas: The LSU commit from Spanish Fort (Ala.) High School visited Arkansas along with Johnston, his high school teammate, during Arkansas’ win against Ole Miss. The Hogs potentially could offer a chance at earlier playing time sooner than programs such as LSU.
- 3-star OL Seth Stewart: He received an offer from Arkansas last spring when the Hogs became one of the first FBS programs to show heavy interest. However, he committed to LSU on the spot after receiving an offer during a visit in July.
Arkansas-LSU 2016 recruiting scoreboard
Continuing to look at recruiting battles between Arkansas and LSU, here’s a glance at the competition between the schools in the 2016 class.
By the numbers
- 2: 5-star prospects signed by LSU
- 1: 5-star prospect signed by Arkansas
- 2: Arkansas signees with an offer from LSU
- 9: LSU signees with an offer from Arkansas
- 5: 4-star prospects signed by Arkansas
- 16: 4-star prospects signed by LSU
- 23: The final class ranking for Arkansas
- 3: The final class ranking for LSU
Most competitive signings
- 5-star CB Kristian Fulton (LSU): The top Louisiana recruit in the class, Fulton had Arkansas among his final three before picking LSU.
- 4-star DL Briston Guidry (Ark.): The one-time Mississippi State commit received an offer from LSU shortly after de-committing from the Bulldogs. In the end, he signed with the Razorbacks.
- 4-star LB Devin White (LSU): Arkansas remained among his final choices until White eventually chose to end his long and controversial recruitment with a late commitment to LSU.
- 3-star LB Caleb Roddy (LSU): The Hogs reportedly recruited Roddy heavily all the way up until Signing Day, when he signed with LSU.
Recruiting in enemy territory
The talent pool in Louisiana is rich and deep. Arkansas recently has been successful recruiting the state, with 10 Louisiana natives on its roster. On the flip side, LSU has no Arkansas natives on its roster nor any committed in 2017.
Here’s a look at the 10 Razorbacks and three committed from The Boot:
- WR Jared Cornelius, Evangel Christian Academy (Shreveport, La.)
- DB Nate Dalton, Cypress Falls High School (Baton Rouge, La.)
- LB Dwayne Eugene, Archbishop Rummel High School (Marrero, La.)
- DL Briston Guidry, Archbishop Rummel High School (Metairie, La.)
- LB De’Jon Harris, John Ehret High School (Harvey, La.)
- FB Kendrick Jackson, Haynesville (La.) High School
- QB Cole Kelley, Teurlings Catholic High School (Lafayette, La.)
- LB Giovanni LaFrance, St. Augustine High School (New Orleans)
- DB Santos Ramirez, Evangel Christian Academy (Shreveport, La.)
- DB Henre’ Toliver, Archbishop Rummel High School (Marrero, La.)
- Committed LB Josh Paul, De La Salle High School (New Orleans)
- Committed LB Derrick Munson, Archbishop Rummel High School (Metairie, La.)
- Committed ATH De’Vion Warren, Ouachita Parish High School (Monroe, La.)
All rankings are provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.