FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas was blown out 49-30 by No. 1 Alabama on Saturday night at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
It was the worst home loss for the No. 16 Hogs (4-2, 0-2 SEC) since falling 52-7 in 2013 to South Carolina.
Here’s the rundown of what Hogs coach Bret Bielema had to say following the game:
- “I thought our guys prepared well and our fans prepared well. And we wanted it for our fans,” an obviously disappointed Bielema said to open his postgame press conference.
- Injuries: Linebacker Dre Greenlaw is likely out for the season with a broken foot. Wide receiver Drew Morgan had to leave the game but is only believed to have a minor bruise.
- “We can’t spot a good team turnovers and points.” added Bielema, who felt his team played better in the second half but gave Alabama too many things in the first half.
- The team is looking to quickly recover with a big game again next week against Mississippi.
- The offensive line struggles and inability to prevent several negative plays was troubling. Bielema said the offensive line must be better going forward.
- Adam McFain was the better kicker during the week and that’s why he started over regular kicker Cole Hedlund. Bielema said he knew by Wednesday that McFain would be the new starter.
- On Frank Ragnow playing a week after the death of his father: “I think it was nice for him. We weren’t going to play him unless we felt good about his frame of mind. You could tell he watched a lot of film while he was away.” Bielema said he had no issues picking up things against Alabama. Bielema also got a chance to talk to him as he was coming off the field and called him a great player and a great “son.”
- “The season goals our guys put forward was a 1-0 mentality. There’s no better time than now to see if we can do that.” Bielema said the team can’t complain or gripe going forward. He said the team has to “deal with it no matter what life throws you.”
- “We have to take a hard look at our defense and see if we’re asking guys to do things that they can’t.” Alabama had 396 yards in the first half and finished with 517.
- Bielema closed with: “We’ve got to correct the negatives for us to move forward on positives.”