ARLINGTON, Texas — Arkansas lost for the first time this season 45-24 to Texas A&M at AT&T Stadium on Saturday night.
Here’s the rundown of what Hogs coach Bret Bielema had to say following the game.
- Bielema is “very disappointed” his team didn’t play a “four-quarter game.” He specifically mentions the mistakes with penalties and fumbles as disappointing. He also adds some players did not take the field with a “good demeanor” in the fourth quarter. That will be addressed in film.
- Freshman defensive tackle Austin Capps didn’t play after having a scooter accident earlier this week. He had a swollen eye.
- The decision to call a reverse to wide receiver Keon Hatcher on forth down on the goal line was based on the team’s inability to previously punch it in by giving the ball to the running backs and on quarterback sneaks. They “felt good” about the call, but “just didn’t execute.” Bielema says he thinks he would do it all over again.
- “I think (quarterback Austin Allen) is OK.” Bielema says he’s obviously sore. He adds they’ve got to do a better job of protecting him.
- “We’ve got to put our big boy pants on,” Bielema says about needing to be able to score from inside the 1-yard line.
- Bielema on Texas A&M’s big runs: “We didn’t execute, but we’ve also got to look at what we’re calling.” He sounded surprised with how much space the Aggies had on running plays, particularly on quarterback draws by Trevor Knight in the first half.
- Bielema on defensive back De’Andre Coley’s ejections for targeting: “You’ve got to think it’s the right call after they go upstairs and look at it. I thought, more than anything, it was because it was late. De’Andre is a good player. It’s a teaching moment for him. That was a huge momentum-changer in the game.”
- Bielema on Knight: “He’s a good player. They play to his strengths. I think he’s a lot faster than people think when you see him out there running. But if our design in how we want to play doesn’t get carried out, it’s not going to work.”
- “We thought if we made (Knight) run east and west and make him throw, we could be successful. For him to have those big runs in the first half, that’s unacceptable.”