LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — Arkansas recovered from its first defeat of the season to defeat FCS opponent Alcorn State 52-10 at War Memorial Stadium on Saturday.
The Hogs (4-1, 0-1 SEC) will face No. 1 Alabama next Saturday in Fayetteville.
Here’s the rundown of what coach Bret Bielema had to say following the win over Alcorn State.
- Bielema says the team prepared really well all week coming off a loss. He was pleased with how the team started fast, scoring 24 points in the first quarter.
- Wide receiver Keon Hatcher missed the game with a hamstring injury. Bielema says he should be back to full strength by next week. He stayed in Fayetteville.
- Safety Santos Ramirez also did not play as a precaution with a bruise and is expected to be full strength next week.
- The staff made sure the reserves were prepared this week to get in the game and not have to change anything.
- Bielema on wide receiver Cody Hollister: “There’s not a better kid on this planet.” Bielema said he was glad to see him overcome the struggles he’s had early this season to have a big game.
- In short-yardage and goal-line situations, Bielema says the team still needs to figure out what they can do well and execute better.
- Bielema said it was “pretty cool” to get a win in Little Rock. He said the fans were “really into it” all day.
- Bielema says the team took care of the “PHPs” today . . . Pound Hogs Pound in the running game and Protect Hogs Protect in the passing game.
- In the middle of the second quarter “some of our good (defensive) players just weren’t playing characteristic to what they normally do.” Bielema says they had some alignment issues and missed tackles.
- Looking ahead to Alabama: “There’s going to be 11 players for them and 11 players for us, and whoever plays better is going to win.”
- Bielema says he “needs the fans in every way possible” against Alabama next week. He says he expects there to be some good tailgating to get the crowd fired up and ready to go by kickoff.
- On where the team is heading into the Alabama game: “I like our demeanor. They took ownership last week, they’ll take ownership this week and be ready to roll.”
- “Next week is a big weekend for us as far as recruiting.” Bielema says Arkansas will have a half dozen key recruits visiting. He adds that having ESPN’s College GameDay in Fayetteville would be “a shot in the arm.”
- On wide receiver Jared Cornelius: “He’s got a lot of talent and he knows how to use it.” Cornelius had a game over 100 yards receiving for a second-consecutive week.