FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Arkansas defeated No. 11 Florida 31-10 on Saturday at Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium.
It was the Hogs’ (6-3, 2-3) third win over a ranked team this season.
Here’s the rundown of what Arkansas coach Bret Bielema had to say following the game:
- The last two weeks were long after the way they lost to Auburn, so Bielema says it was “good to get back out on the field and play.”
- The Hogs made positional changes to the starting defensive line with Jeremiah Ledbetter playing more defensive end and McTevlin Agim starting at tackle, changes Bielema says he made the Sunday after the Auburn game. “I just kind of said what we’re going to do and where we’re going to do.”
- The insertion of Johnny Gibson as the starting right tackle “was more Kurt (Anderson) and Dan (Enos) working together, but I wanted to switch some defensive personnel.”
- Bielema liked the “frame of mind” his players had coming into this game.
- The running game “sparked” the win.
- Bielema gives “a lot of credit” to the defensive coaches for how they prepared them for this game after such a poor performance against Auburn.
- Bielema says the alternate uniforms helped provide a spark to the team. The players were “jacked up” to wear them and Bielema adds it has a good impact in recruiting, which was big today with a bunch of prospects at the game.
- They were initially supposed to wear the uniforms against Texas State instead, but Bielema asked athletic director Jeff Long if that could be changed.
- Former defensive end Trey Flowers talked to the team before the game. Bielema says he can’t repeat what was said, but it was effective.
- The message that they have to improve stopping the run was received and the defense played “inspired,” Bielema believes. Florida rushed for only 12 yards.
- Gibson in his first start “played his tail off.” Bielema says Gibson just came in and asked him for the opportunity to start.
- Bielema compliments offensive coordinator Dan Enos’ game plan. “He’s good with one week, but if you give him two he’s really good.”
- Bielema on the defensive personnel changes: “When shit needs to change I’ve got to come in and make it happen.”
- “If we had to play a game last week, we probably would’ve had five or six guys out that played today.” The bye week clearly came at a good time.
- Bielema is emotional while discussing the seniors sharing stories about their home with the team on Friday.
- Bielema says offensive line coach Kurt Anderson is doing an “awesome” job. He openly admits they don’t have a lot of talent or depth on the offensive line. “We’re not very good up there. We don’t have a lot of depth. We need to recruit and do a better job of getting football players in this program.”
- Left guard Hjalte Froholdt is expected to be fine. He left the game with an apparent leg injury and did not return.
- Establishing the running game was “vital” to Arkansas’ success. The Hogs rushed for 223 yards. “When we get over 150 I think my winning percentage is really good. It was a great game plan and execution.”