HOOVER, Ala. — Arkansas shared Wednesday at SEC Media Days with Nick Saban and Alabama, a fact that undoubtedly resulted in less coverage for the Hogs.
Fortunately, though, for the Razorbacks, Bret Bielema is their coach.
Bielema dominated the coverage Arkansas received in the media. Here’s a sampling of what was written about the Hogs’ entertaining head coach:
- The Associated Press’ David Brandt writes that “… after an encouraging third season that ended with an 8-5 record, including 5-3 in the league, Bielema’s hard-nosed, blue-collar vision is starting to become a reality in Fayetteville.”
- The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette’s Wally Hall wrote of Bielema, “He’s honest and candid, and while Saban was throwing a tantrum about being asked about the non-suspensions of two players, the Arkansas coach was winning the news conference.”
- CBSSports.com’s Jon Solomon declared Bielema “the SEC’s new Steve Spurrier during this talking season.”
- According to the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s Ron Higgins, Bielema is a “Spurrier-in-training”
- Over at Sporting News, Bill Bender writes that “Bielema doesn’t have Spurrier’s delivery and never will, but his stream-of-consciousness style remains a hit. It’s funny.”
- FoxSports.com’s Bruce Feldman calls Bielema “the league’s most entertaining speaker.”
- And last but absolutely not least, Eric Bolin of the Arkansas News Bureau led his Bielema story with a Star Wars reference. I’ll allow it.