11 things every Auburn fan needs to know today
Not many gave Auburn a chance to knock off No. 2 Alabama in the Iron Bowl on Saturday. Although the Tigers entered the fourth quarter within one possession of the Crimson Tide, Alabama pulled away to win comfortably, 29-13.
Now Auburn (6-6, 2-6 SEC) will wait to find out where it will be headed during bowl season.
Here are 11 things to know:
- Watch what Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s had to say in his postgame press conference. “Right now, we are hurting,” Malzahn said after his team fell in the Iron Bowl.
- Auburn running back Peyton Barber had some interesting comments about Alabama following the game. “I don’t feel like they were the better team,” Barber said.
- Watch Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp erupt at officials after a personal foul call during Saturday’s game.
- Prayer at Jordan-Hare 2.0? Auburn wide receiver Jason Smith made an insane self-tip touchdown catch that reminded many people of the improbable 2013 catch against UGA by Ricardo Louis.
- Auburn debuted new gloves for the Iron Bowl.
- Cam Newton returned to Auburn in entertaining fashion. The former Auburn quarterback was an honorary coach for the Iron Bowl.
- It wasn’t all smiles for Newton, however, as he got into a verbal altercation with an Alabama fan during the Tiger Walk.
- Fired Auburn baseball coach Sunny Golloway seemed to enjoy the Iron Bowl outcome.
- Auburn defensive end Carl Lawson was Tim Tebow’s “Freak of the Week” on the SEC Nation pregame show. The crew was in Auburn for the Iron Bowl.
- Auburn picked up another commitment for the 2016 class.
- A 4-star offensive lineman has Auburn in his top 5, but another SEC school is vying for his services as well.
The best stories around the SEC
- Report: LSU decided to keep Les Miles during the third quarter of Texas A&M game
- Leonard Fournette breaks LSU’s single-season rushing record
- UGA players get revenge for last year’s destruction of hedges
- Kirk Herbstreit on Les Miles’ job situation: “It’s the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard”
- ESPN’s Danny Kanell thinks UGA running back Sony Michel is better than Nick Chubb