Happy Monday, Auburn fans.
The slow time of the year is finally upon us. Recruiting is over, the NFL season has come to an end and all the focus turns to spring football, which is still a few weeks away. Former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton fell short of winning his first Super Bowl on Sunday, but the NFL’s Most Valuable Player still had a season to remember.
Here are five things to know:
- National Signing Day has come and gone, but Auburn may not be done adding to its roster this offseason. The Tigers may add a grad transfer linebacker from Illinois, who plans to visit Auburn.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn might not have to be spending time visiting recruits across the country this weekend, but he did head out west to watch Newton in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday.
- Although Newton didn’t come out on the winning end in Sunday’s Super Bowl, the former Tiger undoubtedly started a nationwide craze with the dab, and it even spread to a well-known actress.
- Newton may not be a Super Bowl champion yet, but he’s still this season’s Most Valuable Player. The former Heisman Trophy winner showed off some gold MVP cleats during pre-game warmups on Sunday.
- A lot has been written about Newton and his father, Cecil, in the past, but not much is made about Newton’s mother, who wrote him an inspirational text the night before Super Bowl 50.
Other Auburn news from around the Internet
- Although Auburn will host a grad transfer linebacker, Malzahn isn’t overly concerned about the Tigers linebacker depth, writes James Crepea of AL.com.
- On the men’s basketball front, Auburn’s struggles continued Saturday, as the Tigers dropped their fifth straight game. This time, it was UGA who upended Auburn, 65-55. Here’s the game story via Charles Odum of the Associated Press.