Auburn (7-6) enters the offseason on a positive note after a convincing 31-10 win over Memphis in the Birmingham Bowl. But the victory wasn’t the only big news of the day for the Tigers.
Here are nine things to know:
- The Birmingham Bowl postgame comments from Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: “It was good to see these guys with a smile on their face at the end.”
- Auburn hired LSU defensive coordinator Kevin Steele to the same position.
- Auburn recruits and targets reacted to the hiring of Steele.
- WATCH: A Memphis player tackled one of Auburn’s equipment managers and stole a football.
- Auburn defensive tackle Maurice Swain claimed that Memphis players spat on Auburn players.
- Former Auburn QB Cam Newton announced the birth of his child one week after the fact.
- Running back Peyton Barber extended an Auburn record of 1,000-yard rushers.
- Recap: What Auburn targets and commits said at the Under Armour All-America Game.
- Auburn still leads for four-star athlete Tray Bishop, but two other SEC schools are in the fold.
Other Auburn news from around the Internet
- From AL.com’s Brandon Marcello: Quarterback Jeremy Johnson confirms he will return for his senior season.
- From the Opelika-Auburn News’ Dana Sulonen: Auburn players didn’t quit on season.
- From 247sports’ Ryan Black: Sophomore defensive end Carl Lawson has yet to make a decision on entering the NFL draft.