Winning games on the road doesn’t happen easily in the Southeastern Conference. Still, that’s exactly what Auburn basketball will try to do this weekend when the Tigers travel to Gainesville, Fla.
Auburn has played well away from home for the most part this season, but for several reasons, this victory will be extremely difficult to earn. Bruce Pearl’s team is coming off a dominant win over its in-state rival, but the Tigers are also down to an eight-man rotation (on some nights, like Wednesday, that number drops to seven) — and Florida presents challenges that could trip Auburn up.
“Last season we gave up 114 points to Florida,” Pearl said. “We scored 95, but we gave up 114 points, so we’ve got to figure out a different way to guard that system. They’ve got six top-50 RPI wins. They’ve got five different players that have scored 23 points or more in a particular game, so they’ve got some real firepower. They don’t turn the ball over.”
Closing February with a win would help Auburn secure at least a share of the SEC title. It would also mean with one more victory, the Tigers would own the 2017-18 conference championship outright.
Auburn-Florida basketball game time, details
- Time: 7:30 p.m. CT
- Date: Saturday, Feb. 24, 2018
- Location: Exactech Arena (Gainesville, Fla.)
- Records: Auburn (24-4 overall, 12-3 SEC); Florida (17-11,8-7)
What TV channel is Auburn-Florida on?
You can watch Auburn vs. Florida on SEC Network. Dave Neal and Jon Sundvold will be on the call.
How can I watch Auburn-Florida online?
Stream Auburn-Alabama on the WatchESPN app.
How can I listen to Auburn-Florida on the radio?
You can listen to the Auburn Sports Network call of the Auburn and Alabama game with Rod Bramblett and Sonny Smith. The Auburn Sports Network also offers a stream on AuburnTigers.com and the TuneIn app.
- Auburn holds a slight edge in the series against the Gators, having won more in Auburn 54-26. However, Florida has found more success on its home court (48-30) and in neutral site meetings (4-3).
- Pearl’s team surprised many in the basketball world earlier in the week when Auburn handed Alabama a double-digit loss on The Plains. The Tigers were without Mustapha Heron (flu), but it didn’t matter much.
- The Tigers need a win in Gainesville to clinch a share of their third SEC Championship in program history and need two victories to clinch the title outright.
- Offensively, Auburn has something rare in conference play (when its guards are healthy). Point guard Jared Harper (13.8), Bryce Brown (16.4) and Heron (16.1) are each averaging over 13.5 points per game.
- Florida is led by its own trio of guards: Egor Koulechov (13.9 ppg), KeVaughn Allen (10.8 ppg) and Chris Chiozza (11.4 ppg).