Auburn football: Offensive coach moving on to Lone Star State
Auburn football is the No. 1 topic in the War Eagle Wakeup every day — but we cover news, notes and analysis from across the Tigers’ sports world. Join us each morning to get caught up on everything you missed in the world of Auburn football, recruiting, basketball and more.
Tigers need new O-line coach
Some big news was reported on Tuesday afternoon regarding Auburn’s coaching staff.
Sources: Auburn OL coach Herb Hand headed to Texas as co-OC/OL coach
— Brett McMurphy (@Brett_McMurphy) January 16, 2018
Even on Tuesday evening the departure was yet to be reported officially, but Hand’s move to Texas creates some obstacles for the Tigers. It also presents some opportunities for a new coach to step in and take over a young offensive line group.
Auburn was already focused on its offensive line recruiting with the losses of Braden Smith, Darius James and Austin Golson. Now, Auburn will need to bring a talented coach on board to develop a talented young group.
In other Auburn news:
- Taking stock of young defensive backs Auburn football needs to rely on in 2018.
- How Auburn’s 2018 backfield could shape up in the post-Kerryon Johnson era.
- Offensive line coach Hand leaving Auburn for Texas.
- What does Hand’s departure mean for offensive line recruiting?
- Former Auburn LB/TE Tre’ Threat transferring to Jacksonville State.
- Scouting report on Auburn’s next kicker from teammate who knows him best.
- Auburn basketball “picking up” Austin Wiley after center declared ineligible.
Taking on Tide
Auburn’s mid-week matchup will be a little more important Wednesday night as the Tigers face Alabama in Tuscaloosa.
Bruce Pearl’s team is looking for its 17th win (15th in a row) and hoping to add another SEC win. It won’t be easy, though. Alabama freshman Collin Sexton has been tearing it up for the Crimson Tide (19.3 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game) — and he and coach Avery Johnson would like nothing more than to spoil Auburn’s fun.
Tip is set for 6 p.m. CT and the game can be viewed on SEC Network.
— Auburn Basketball (@AuburnMBB) January 16, 2018
Tweet of the day
Johnson knows the Tigers are coming.
— Justin Ferguson (@JFergusonAU) January 16, 2018
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup Auburn football post right here.