Auburn football: Cam Newton knows the feeling; Auburn basketball gets Charleston bracket
Welcome to SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup, a rundown of everything happening in Auburn football and Auburn Tigers athletics with Lauren Shute. Here’s a look at what you might have missed on Wednesday:
It’s almost the weekend, which really means you’re almost there.
Training camp is next week and everyone is ready. Few may be more pumped than former Tiger Cam Newton, though. The NFL MVP expressed his excitement in the perfect way on Wednesday — one Auburn’s current football players can totally relate to.
— NFL (@NFL) July 26, 2017
Yep, it’s almost college football time.
In other Auburn football news:
- Auburn offensive tackle Calvin Ashley underwent a “minor procedure” but will be ready when the Tigers start camp on Monday.
- Florida state graduate transfer Wilson Bell could be in line for a starting job this fall.
- Jatarvious Whitlow could play a couple different positions, and could be a big play threat, for Auburn this season.
- Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham may be the most important player in the SEC in 2017.
- This former Alabama running back commit has called Auburn “a home away from home.”
Auburn hoops: Looking ahead
Auburn is headed to South Carolina to compete in the Charleston Classic in Nov., and now the Tigers know who they will play.
For the first time ever, the Tigers will open against Indiana State on Nov. 16 (10:30 a.m. CT, ESPNU). Bruce Pearl’s team will also play the winner/loser of Old Dominion/Temple the following day and see Clemson, Dayton, Hofstra or Ohio as well.
On Nov. 29, Auburn is scheduled to travel to Dayton, Oh., for a matchup with the Flyers (Atlantic 10). Dayton has made four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. Here’s a look at the bracket:
Tweet of the Day
Preseason camp is not all fun and games.
For starters, it’s hot. The initial practices also mark the beginning of what will surely be a long, exhausting season — even as exciting as it may be. But there is one thing about the beginning of a season that is hard to top: new gear.
Auburn football posted this tweet of some of the cleats players will receive before things get rolling on Monday. It’s about as close to Christmas in July as you can get.
All laced up & ready for fall camp.
— Auburn Football (@AuburnFootball) July 26, 2017
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup Auburn football post right here.