Carlito Gonzalez was the last man left to join the Auburn football team, and he won’t do so in 2017.
Gonzalez, a 3-star safety who signed with the Tigers in February, didn’t qualify academically. He will go the JUCO route, much like fellow signee Alaric Williams.
“Carlitos did not make it, he’s in the process of looking for a junior college,” Gus Malzahn told the media on Monday evening. “He’ll go to a junior college and try to get here.”
The Tigers kicked off practice earlier in the afternoon at the Auburn Athletics Complex, but the safety from Georgia was not listed on the roster and he wasn’t present during the media viewing period.
Earlier this summer, during an Ambush Tour stop at Lake Martin, Gus Malzahn said Gonzalez would arrive on campus for the second summer mini-semester at the end of June. Gonzalez told Auburn Undercover that his late arrival was due to a family emergency.
Malzahn then commented on Gonzalez’s status at SEC Media Days, explaining that Gonzalez had to finish a class.
“Carlito still has a class to finish,” Malzahn said in Hoover. “We expect him to do that. We expect for him to be here for the time we start fall camp. But no, everything’s going pretty good right now. We feel good about our team, everybody’s focused in.”
Safety is a position of concern for the Tigers despite the senior leadership of Tray Matthews, Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin.
Though Gonzalez was not listed on the latest roster, wide receiver (and former quarterback) Jason Smith was listed as a defensive back. Malzahn also informed media that walk-on Jaylen McGriff has also moved to safety.