AUBURN, Ala. — One year made all the difference for Auburn football in the Iron Bowl.
A season ago the Tigers walked into Bryant-Denny Stadium, struggled to score and let Alabama run rampant. That wasn’t so much the case on Saturday in Jordan-Hare Stadium.
Auburn went into the final quarter of the game with all of the momentum after an Alabama touchdown was reversed and a field goal attempt was botched. The Tigers had a 6-point lead heading into the final quarter with a spot in the SEC Championship on the line.
Jarrett Stidham was anxious to play in his first rivalry game. The native Texan’s first Iron Bowl went well, all things considered.
Follow along here to see what Gus Malzahn says about Auburn’s performance in the Iron Bowl.
- “After the LSU loss, we took it down to five. That’s what we did. We’re going to the SEC Championship.”
- “We told our team if we got it to the fourth quarter, we’d win the game.”
- On Auburn OC Chip Lindsey: “Chip was the perfect person for this job, and I think everybody sees that now.”
- On the QB draw from Jarrett Stidham: “We got them in man, and it parted like the Red Sea.”
- On RB Kerryon Johnson: “KJ is as tough as it gets. … He was banged up. Hey, he wants to win.”
- “We took some chances over the top. We didn’t hit very many, but we were aggressive.”
- No update on Kerryon Johnson’s shoulder injury.
- Looking back at the Clemson game: “We were still trying to find our identity… Since then, we have played as good as it gets, outside of the second half against LSU.”
- “I’m so impressed with our third-down defense. They didn’t get one until the fourth quarter.”
- Malzahn said Jarrett Stidham “throws it as good as anybody I’ve seen.”
- “We’re going to play a Georgia team that’s extremely talented and will have a chip on their shoulder.”
- “On third down, when they knew we were passing, our protection stepped up.”
- On Stephen Roberts’ third-down stop: “Oh, man, that dude is a big and fast guy, and that was huge.”
- “That’s huge. This is who we recruit against. This is big, not just now, but for the future. We’re starting to get quality depth and talent. We’ve got a real chance for a long time.”
- Malzahn says once again that DC Kevin Steele should win the Broyles Award.
- On the job talk surrounding him: “We just won the SEC West and we’re fixing to play for the SEC championship. I don’t get into rumors.”