AUBURN, Ala. — The Auburn football team is into its second week of preparation for the Sugar Bowl matchup against Big 12 champion Oklahoma.
The Tigers practiced for the sixth time since returning from their postseason break Tuesday afternoon. Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn is set to speak to the media for the final time before the team departs for New Orleans in a week.
Malzahn will provide practice information, discuss the arrival of transfer quarterback Jarrett Stidham and preview the showdown with Bob Stoops’ Oklahoma team.
Follow along here for live updates:
- “Our guys have come out every day with a great energy and a great focus. Our guys have done a super job.”
- K.J. Britt, Malcolm Askew and Jarrett Stidham were at practice for Auburn today. “Didn’t get to do a whole lot with them.”
- On freshman linebacker K.J. Britt: “We think he has a chance to be a great linebacker. He’s got a great personality and a great family.”
- “We’ll have two more practices, and we’ll send our guys off for Christmas break.”
- “We’ve been pretty successful running the football, and I think when we’ve thrown it when we’re healthy, I think we’ve been pretty efficient… Overall, I think (Oklahoma) has a pretty good defense.”
- On throwing the ball deep vs. Oklahoma: “We definitely have the guys to do that.”
- On Sean White: “We’ve thrown a lot, and we’ve had just one day off. He’s been able to handle that. Getting his arm back in shape has been really good.”
- On the DB coach search: “We’re not in a big hurry. We want to make sure we take care of our bowl prep.” Malzahn said Auburn wants a great teacher and a great recruiter for the job. “We want to get the best in the country… I just want to make sure we get the right person.”
- On the potential addition of a 10th assistant: “I’m all for it… I know the SEC coaches are all for it.”
- On Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield: “When things break down, he’s probably at his best with his decision-making. He can really turn a bad play into a good play. That’s what the special ones do. He’s got a special gift.”
- “This is one of the best leadership groups we’ve ever had. It’s really important for our young guys to see the seniors’ examples. Moving forward, the players that are younger have had great ones to look to.”
- On freshman WR Marquis McClain: “They’ve been talking about him on the scout team all year. He’s one of those guys who makes some plays when we put the ball down. He’ll be in the mix next year. He’s a big guy, and he can really run.”
- On OT Prince Tega: “He’s been at offensive tackle for a season now. He wants to be good. He has what it takes.”
- “We’re a lot better team when Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway are healthy. You can sense the confidence the team has when the pieces of the puzzle are healthy.”
- On Buck defensive end Nick Coe: “He’s a big athlete, and he’s got a great skill set. He’ll be a very good player. He’s done some really good things. We have some young guys who can play. That’s real exciting.”
- On Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon and the video of him punching a woman: “I don’t get in-depth into how other people run their programs. I’m just worried about ours.”
- “All you do when you get to the bowl site is fine-tune things. That’s what we want to do, get everything set before Christmas.”