Auburn football: Gus Malzahn candid about expectations; men’s golf headed back to NCAA Championship
Welcome to SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup, a rundown of everything happening in Auburn football and Auburn Tigers athletics with Lauren Shute. Today, we discuss Gus Malzahn’s expectations for 2017 and more NCAA action.
Inside the mind of Gus Malzahn
It’s no secret that Gus Malzahn isn’t a very open person when it comes to his football team.
The head coach will tell you as much. He likes keeping things to himself.
But lately Malzahn has been outspoken about the expectations he has for his Auburn football team — and they aren’t low.
The word championship and playoff have been used often. Balance is another term Malzahn has used repeatedly. But what else does the Arkansas native think about his team as it prepares for summer workouts?
Get a glimpse inside the mind of Gus Malzahn and find out what he said on SEC Network.
— Auburn Football (@AuburnFootball) May 18, 2017
- SEC Country writes that after a winding path to Auburn, Traivon Leonard is hoping to impress his new position coach this summer.
- AL.com says this is Auburn’s behind the scenes star.
- Bleacher Report points to this wide receiver as a hidden gem on what could be a top 25 Auburn team this fall.
- SportsDay asked if Jarrett Stidham can continue the Texas takeover at Auburn.
- CBSSports says these are the pros and cons of what Auburn moving to the SEC East would mean.
- SEC Country writes that incoming freshman Devan Barrett is eager to get to the Plains and compete for time in Auburn’s crowded backfield.
- SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk says Auburn safety signee Carlito Gonzales has a hilarious nickname for secondary coach Greg Brown.
Happening on the Plains
Golf makes it six straight
Have you ever wondered how hard it is to reach back-to-back NCAA tournaments? What about three in a row?
Well, Auburn men’s golf is showing it’s not that hard at all. The Tigers are advancing to their sixth consecutive NCAA championship after finishing as the runner-up in the West Lafayette Regional.
Senior Matt Gilchrist, who was named to the All-NCAA Regional team, carded a pair of 2-under 70s in the final rounds to help lead the way.
— Auburn Men's Golf (@AuburnMGolf) May 17, 2017
So how many other teams have made a string of six NCAA appearances in a row?
Turns out Auburn is one of six teams in the country to do it — and it’s a group of elite company. The other teams include Florida State, Illinois, Oklahoma, Texas and Southern California.
This is the Tigers’ best finish at a regional since 2013, when Gilchrist and Ryan Benton took charge for the team.
Baseball’s home finale
After a string of disappointing losses Auburn baseball will have one more chance to turn things around beginning tonight at Plainsman Park.
The Tigers play Ole Miss in their final SEC series of the regular season.
It’s a great weekend to stop by and watch Butch Thompson’s team compete in its three-game series. Friday is fan appreciation day and Saturday Auburn’s seniors will be celebrated.
— Auburn Baseball (@AuburnBaseball) May 17, 2017
And as extra incentive you can pick up one of these Thompson bobbleheads on Saturday, too.
— AU Baseball Camps (@AUBaseballCamps) May 17, 2017
Miss a previous edition? Find every post of SEC Country’s daily War Eagle Wakeup Auburn football post right here.