AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn football wants to bounce back from its Week 2 offensive slog of a loss against defending national champion Clemson.
The first step toward that rebound comes Saturday, when the Tigers (1-1) face FCS opponent Mercer (1-1) in an earlier-than-usual homecoming game. Auburn is 11-0 all-time against Mercer, but it hasn’t faced the Bears since 1922.
With a little more than 24 hours before kickoff, here’s your one-stop shop for SEC Country’s pregame coverage of Auburn vs. Mercer.
Injury updates and personnel changes
Junior running backs Kamryn Pettway (heel) and Kerryon Johnson (hamstring) might not see the field Saturday against an FCS opponent. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said earlier this week Pettway is expected to be available, but the Tigers usually hold out any starters with injury concerns in games such as this one.
Johnson is on a list of players Malzahn called day-to-day with an injury. That list also includes senior safety Nick Ruffin, who is the Tigers’ top backup at the position. If there’s any doubt about a player’s health for this game, they’ll most likely sit out.
Junior quarterback Sean White will be back on the field after missing the first two games due to a suspension for undisclosed reasons. White is the No. 2 quarterback behind Jarrett Stidham, bumping freshman Malik Willis to No. 3 on the depth chart.
And while it’s not a major personnel change, keep an eye out for Auburn’s sideline flow Saturday against Mercer. Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey is in the box after two games on the sidelines, and offensive line coach Herb Hand will be on the field for the first time since joining the Tigers.
Talking to the Tigers
Here are the videos from the news conferences this week.
Auburn coach Gus Malzahn (Tuesday)
Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele (Sunday)
Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey (Sunday)
News and analysis
- Auburn football was once conference rivals with its Week 3 FCS opponent
- Breaking down Auburn’s surprisingly star-powered visitors list for the Mercer game
- Auburn’s next opponent Mercer has funny connection to 5-star quarterback Justin Fields
- Gus Malzahn’s message to Auburn offense after low-scoring Clemson loss
- Former Auburn quarterback Brandon Cox to fans: ‘Step back from the ledge’
- Why Auburn free safety Stephen Roberts is playing closer to the line of scrimmage this season
- Auburn football mailbag: Biggest offensive woes, Gus Malzahn’s future and no reason to panic
- Sound Off: Can Gus Malzahn make the necessary changes for Auburn’s offense?
- Auburn football’s ‘talented’ offensive line not shaken by 11 sacks allowed
- On the Auburn football beat: Gus Malzahn needs to pass his next few eye tests
- Kerryon Johnson, Nick Ruffin among Auburn football players still ‘day-to-day’ with injuries
- Auburn defense refuses to point fingers at offense after low-scoring loss to Clemson
- Auburn football ‘probably won’t’ change starting offensive line after allowing 11 sacks to Clemson
- Gus Malzahn: ‘I fully understand’ Auburn fans’ frustration after another offensive low
- Gus Malzahn expects Auburn running back Kamryn Pettway to play vs. Mercer
- Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey moving up to box on game days
- Auburn defense hungry for more after finally forcing turnovers in Week 2
- Ferg’s Film Room: Why Auburn’s offensive line isn’t entirely to blame for Clemson’s 11 sacks
- How many wins is Auburn’s incredible 2017 defense worth against rest of schedule?
- How Auburn football plans to turn around slow start for its top receivers
- Chip Lindsey: I called ‘every one’ of Auburn’s offensive plays vs. Clemson
- Auburn examining offensive line after Clemson exposes ‘growing pains’ in 11-sack game
The SEC Country Auburn team has an expected sweep across the board for a blowout Auburn win over Mercer. This week, the predictions added a “Very Important Playmaker” to watch as well.
Read our final score picks and reasoning here.