Welcome to The Podcast on the Plains, SEC Country’s daily Auburn football podcast with host Zac Blackerby. An interview with Super Bowl champion Trent Dilfer is the featured content on today’s show. On episode 23, Dilfer talks about and evaluates current, future, and possible future Auburn quarterbacks based on their time at the Elite 11 camp.
Auburn football podcast: Trent Dilfer discusses Auburn’s quarterbacks
- Start of the show: Blackerby previews the show and begins the interview with Dilfer. After promoting Dilfer’s new Elite 11 documentary series, Blackerby asks the former ESPN analyst about what he saw in Auburn quarterback target Justin Fields. Dilfer gives nothing but high praise to the future collegiate stud and even explains why NFL scouts already have an eye on Fields for down the road.
- 9-minute mark: Blackerby asks about Auburn quarterback commit Joey Gatewood. He did not make the final cut of the top quarterbacks to participate in the Elite 11, but he did attend a qualifier in Los Angeles. Dilfer knows a lot about Gatewood. He discusses his character and abilities and what Auburn fans should expect from him once he makes it to The Plains.
- 13-minute mark: Sean White was named the MVP of the Elite 11 in 2013. Blackerby asks Dilfer what he saw in White. Dilfer explains that he believed White was a special passer, but he just hasn’t been a good fit at Auburn.
- 15-minute mark: Jarrett Stidham also was a participant in the Elite 11 camp. Dilfer compares Stidham to another Auburn quarterback and discusses why he is a better fit for the Auburn offense than Sean White.
- End of the show: Blackerby discusses some of the offensive woes, but also points out that there were some positives to take away from the Clemson game. Auburn played a bad game and still only trailed by a possession to the third-best team in the country.